All chickens killed but one escaped. Heartbroken.

Yep, Its a stray dog..
Coyotes kill for food
Foxes kill for food
Dogs kill for fun.
Yes, that's what I'm thinking but maybe even a neighbor's dog :/ There is one neighbor who has some big dogs and they do not have a physical fence or an electric fence. They aren't right next to me but they are near enough that I think it's a possibility. I love dogs (I have an amazing dog that I love) but irresponsible dog owners really anger me.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking but maybe even a neighbor's dog :/ There is one neighbor who has some big dogs and they do not have a physical fence or an electric fence. They aren't right next to me but they are near enough that I think it's a possibility. I love dogs (I have an amazing dog that I love) but irresponsible dog owners really anger me.
I would be knocking on doors and asking questions. To find out who's dogs were in the neighborhood the day my chickens were killed.If you live near other houses of people with dogs you need to predator proof your run .If the dogs were seen by neighbors I'd contact the owners

I would be knocking on doors and asking questions. To find out who's dogs were in the neighborhood the day my chickens were killed.If you live near other houses of people with dogs you need to predator proof your run .If the dogs were seen by neighbors I'd contact the owners
Yes, good idea. I am planning on doing this but I am kind of waiting until I feel more in control of myself because right now I think I would go ballistic and I want to be taken seriously. My plan is to do so this weekend or my husband will help me do it. It's been a rough past few days.

Dogs do not kill for fun. They enjoy chasing and catching. No problem when this involves a ball. Usually no problem when it involves a fellow canine. When it involves a chicken, however, it results in the chicken's death. This is not the intent of the dog. The dog does not eat the chicken because the dog was not hunting, it was playing.
I am sorry for the loss of your chickens and hope that both you and the survivor heal.

Dogs do not kill for fun. They enjoy chasing and catching. No problem when this involves a ball. Usually no problem when it involves a fellow canine. When it involves a chicken, however, it results in the chicken's death. This is not the intent of the dog. The dog does not eat the chicken because the dog was not hunting, it was playing.
I am sorry for the loss of your chickens and hope that both you and the survivor heal.
If playing with the chickens causes the death of the chickens, the dog can be said to have killed them for fun, whether killing was the intent or not. I'd never fault the dog for that, it's instinctual. When outdoor cats kill songbirds for fun we call it hunting, not playing, even though functionally it is the same as a dog killing a chicken. The cat has fun while doing it and the majority of the time doesn't eat its kill.

My grandparents own (and used to breed) huskies, one of the most prey driven breeds out there. Any time they get out they almost always go for the chickens, because it's fun for them to chase and bite and shake and ultimately kill them. Hunting and play are very similar to predators. It's why dogs care to chase balls in the first place, why we drag strings around for cats, and why baby carnivores play by stalking/hunting and fighting each other.

Thank you for your kind words. I will look into a better, stronger enclosure. I'm afraid to even put any chicken back outside knowing there is a large predator around. I had a false sense of security from living in a neighborhood.
I too am in a neighborhood and had a neighbor's dog kill my pet bunny years ago, then its mate mourned herself to death. Coons here in Ohio are everywhere. Even in town we see them cross the streets all of the time in the early mornings while driving our buses. I feel better now that mine are all in safer pens and I pray that keeps them safe. Good luck in finding a safer situation for yours. How is she doing by the way? Work has been crazy and I have not been on here as much as I used to be able to be.

The dog that killed my pet bunny years ago was clear at the end of our street! My husband saw the whole thing and couldn't get to it in time to stop it. It just shook it until it was dead and then jumped back over the fence and ran back home. We confronted the owner of the dog and he paid for the bunny but it still made me sick as its mate died also from mourning herself to death.

Back
Top Bottom