Answers are Appreciated - urgent??

_Featherian

Chirping
Mar 5, 2024
A chicken goes broody, you put her on the nest, she stays for hours and even sleeps there but when she finally gets out, she never goes back in unless I put her, is that still ok and considered as a good broody? Will the eggs that got colder (not freezing, but loosing their warmth) survive? It’s day 5 and they are having veins but I want to be sure it’ll continue. Is that the normal behaviour ? What should I do if it’s not OK ? Please do answer, thanks

How old is the female in question? It is not "good" broody behaviour, but it is not unheard of. Typically found in young females, that has been my experience. In my case, she figured it out in the end.

Is it possible that the temperatures in your area are quite high, and she's just taking longer breaks? How long are the eggs being left unattended? If she is in with the rest of your birds, she might also be getting kicked out of the nest, which would need to be managed

How old is the female in question? It is not "good" broody behaviour, but it is not unheard of. Typically found in young females, that has been my experience. In my case, she figured it out in the end.

Is it possible that the temperatures in your area are quite high, and she's just taking longer breaks? How long are the eggs being left unattended? If she is in with the rest of your birds, she might also be getting kicked out of the nest, which would need to be managed
I don’t know how old is she, but I bought her at a store in 2023

Right now the temperatures are quite high, reaching 25 degrees. Few days ago was freezing and she still had the same behaviour so I don’t think this should be the problem. The temperatures should be going downer next week tho.

She goes to sleep on the eggs, wake up still on them, I wake up the morning at 8 to open her door for the day, and when I come back from school usually around 12 I find her outside. I’m guessing she’s staying another hour with the open door before staying out the most she can. When I put her in front of her nest, once I come back home, she sits for a few hours and goes out again until I have to get her to the nest again.

Her nest is in a small brick house (size like a normal house bedroom) where only lives 7 chicks, but that shouldn’t bother her: they are noisy only the day, where they roam outside (not near the nest), and since her nest is in a sort of box with a door, the chicks never get inside. They don’t seem interested in getting in anyway.

My chicken a few months after I bought her (in 2023)
C2E32ED7-1F1D-4EE7-BBD4-32B006BC6A61.jpeg

Now (the chickens stopped pulling her head crest for the past few weeks now, she’s recovering, and yes this is her nest.)
94B25D7F-3F30-400C-AA0D-E53DE9E08658.png

Hope you can guess her average age like this ?

I don’t know how old is she, but I bought her at a store in 2023

Right now the temperatures are quite high, reaching 25 degrees. Few days ago was freezing and she still had the same behaviour so I don’t think this should be the problem. The temperatures should be going downer next week tho.

She goes to sleep on the eggs, wake up still on them, I wake up the morning at 8 to open her door for the day, and when I come back from school usually around 12 I find her outside. I’m guessing she’s staying another hour with the open door before staying out the most she can. When I put her in front of her nest, once I come back home, she sits for a few hours and goes out again until I have to get her to the nest again.

Her nest is in a small brick house (size like a normal house bedroom) where only lives 7 chicks, but that shouldn’t bother her: they are noisy only the day, where they roam outside (not near the nest), and since her nest is in a sort of box with a door, the chicks never get inside. They don’t seem interested in getting in anyway.

How old are the chicks? Beginner broodies (mainly) can get distracted by newly hatched chicks, especially if they're close to hatching, which yours is not. Doesn't sound like she's being adequately consistent. If you've candled and you can see veins developing, I'd say keep doing what you're doing. Not a great situation, unfortunately. If you're not keen on her sitting in the first place, breaking her might be something to consider

forgot to mention
It’s her first time broody

She’s been hiding her eggs for the past few weeks and that’s how I discovered it

How old are the chicks? Beginner broodies (mainly) can get distracted by newly hatched chicks, especially if they're close to hatching, which yours is not. Doesn't sound like she's being adequately consistent. If you've candled and you can see veins developing, I'd say keep doing what you're doing. Not a great situation, unfortunately. If you're not keen on her sitting in the first place, breaking her might be something to consider
They hatched all around 30th May 2024
Candled yesterday evening and they are growing fast

Back
Top Bottom