Any Home Bakers Here?

There has been many occasions where our mail has taken a long time, strangely enough in my experience it's mostly the first class, I have no idea why.
Because you don't have enough carriers? That is the problem here. DW is a PO clerk, small office. She hasn't had a full time carrier in a year.

It’s depressing seeing them deteriorate.
It is, very much so. You hate to see them lose abilities, you hate to see them uncomfortable, you hate that you can't do anything about it. But you have to deal with the fact that we all go some time and if it isn't fast in a bad accident or massive heart attack, decline is what will happen.

We are watching it now with DW's father, he has Parkinsons. His life is bed, wheelchair, recliner. He is 97 now, was still skiing at 90 and still quite active at 94. Yes, depressing.

:hugs

I have never made a pastry cream or an Italian Meringue. Wish me luck.

Question - can I make the cake a day before, or should I assemble it on Saturday morning? Will Italian meringue hold (be stable) for over 24 hours?
Good luck!!

I found this recipe which sure looks like you don't want to do the meringue any earlier than necessary. I would think you could bake the cake the night before though.

wish I had found this article a few days ago.
mom L O V E S to bake stuff. she's the best.
are we allowed to post baking recipes here?
Welcome!

Of course you can post recipes! If you look at the first post you will find a link to a spreadsheet with LOTS AND LOTS of recipes from people who post here.

I am going to make the birthday cake for my dad's birthday party on Saturday. He wants his moms Spice Cake - he only gets it for his birthday as it is quite putzy. My turn to make it this year.

I read the recipe tonight to make sure I had all the ingredients. Thanks to my addiction to The Great British Bakeoff, I can identify it as a 2 layer spice cake with a pastry cream layer between and frosted with an Italian Meringue.

I have never made a pastry cream or an Italian Meringue. Wish me luck.

Question - can I make the cake a day before, or should I assemble it on Saturday morning? Will Italian meringue hold (be stable) for over 24 hours?
Make the cake layers, let them cool, wrap them up and freeze them. They will be much easier to frost that way

I'm sure you got your answer @pennyJo1960 but here is the Sure Jell recipe that came with the pectin. It says 7 cups of sugar and I don't know why the one picture is upside down, sorry!
To the rescue.
cooked  jam.PNG

Okay @caveman I found a recipe on utube right up my way.. Make slurry of cornstarch using blackerry liquid.. boom Jam..
Made second apple crisp, Make the flour, sugar with butter and baking soda cut the cold butter in then a beaten eggs to moiste.
our large eggs only took one.
Six of 8 apples used a 4 granny smith but then 2 cosmic crisp that are larger. Same I use for apple sauce.
001.jpg
002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom