Any writers out there?

So like...does anyone like to draw their characters that you’re working with or in my case attempt to draw the incredibly specific image I have in my head only to fail miserably and ruin the rest of my day?
Since I write science fiction I do... Characters and Ships and worlds... Only partially. Been drawing one of the ships for years. trying to get a floor plan to take shape. One of my characters just lept out at me and I drew him in just a few minutes. Only a few changes were made over his evolution.

Even made a couple of timelines to keep control of continuity.

Human character sketching not so much...

deb

I do, I'm always doodling my story characters. Especially if they aren't human, 'cause I'm not the greatest at drawing people.
Everyone else in my family can draw (my Nanna has a masters in freaking art) and then there’s me, who tries to draw a person and it ends up looking like a dried up noodle lol.

My dear writing comrades- does anyone else work on a draft for sometimes several years and then spontaneously say “hmmm, I think I want to restart this...yeah imma restart this”

I have a story I've been working on for something like 20 years and it's been restarted like that at least five separate times due to genre shifts alone.

The story I'm working on now (a different one), the draft I'm currently on is the result of a restart as well. I really try to avoid doing that because I have a bad habit of never finishing a complete draft when I do, but sometimes I've changed the plot or characters or whatever so much that it's basically impossible to continue a draft in nits current state.

I have a story I've been working on for something like 20 years and it's been restarted like that at least five separate times due to genre shifts alone.

The story I'm working on now (a different one), the draft I'm currently on is the result of a restart as well. I really try to avoid doing that because I have a bad habit of never finishing a complete draft when I do, but sometimes I've changed the plot or characters or whatever so much that it's basically impossible to continue a draft in nits current state.
I don’t think I’ve ever completed a long term project lol. I’m so bad at that.

My dear writing comrades- does anyone else work on a draft for sometimes several years and then spontaneously say “hmmm, I think I want to restart this...yeah imma restart this”
been writing on my book for more than thirty years. All my manuscripts were up in the desert in storage at my house. Mom was going through Cancer Radiation therepy. I could barely walk into a hospital to wait for her. As long as i kept my eyes down I didnt feel like passing out.

So I brought a notebook and started it over. Gone were the Childish things in was a more developed society and interesting Characters. its now 80 thousand words.

I joined the National Writers month Nanowrimo competition. The goal was fifty thousand words in one month. I succeded by writing background for each of my characters and it developed into a prequel... no ending but its even better than the last one.

I never throw a way anything. I keep it all every page every removed passages. They are great reference even if I dont look at them again.

deb

I don’t think I’ve ever completed a long term project lol. I’m so bad at that.
I have enough anecdotal stories and vignettes to make a small book. I am going to call it "I love being a fly on the wall"

Each story is maybe a couple of paragraphs up to a couple of pages. Mostly about life in the desert and the Characters that thrive there. Me included.

deb

Oh and for what its worth I built my first computer just to write. It was an 8088 had no hard drive but it had Two Floppy drives. One for the software one for data storage.
that was a big deal That was in 1979. I transcribed quite a bit of my stuff onto 5.25 Floppy disks.

deb

Back
Top Bottom