Anyone use these types of feeders? Royal Rooster

thistlewick

Songster
May 11, 2024
The Piedmont of North Carolina
Just wondering if anyone has used these feeders from Royal Rooster, and if so, how many do you need for a flock of 13?

Was thinking 2-3?

double_feeder_main.jpg

I did not use those. But you said for 13 chickens need to eat. In the morning all 13 chickens will be hungry and need food. The little one gets the hurt if the food is not enough space. Of course it is normal for the alpha to eat first, but continued eating last for the little chickens will keep them small. In my opinion these 3 feeders is not enough for 13 chickens. This feeder will cause fighting.

These are much larger than you probably think, they are quite wide, can hold 7lbs of feed and 3-4 chickens can eat from these at one time.

Right now, I have 1 large round feeder, the basic kind that you get from Tractor Supply and they do fine with that but I want to get the food up off the ground while they grow from 6 weeks on until they are free-ranging full time.

Just was curious if anyone had used them.

The manufacturer actually recommends only TWO for 12 chickens. So I was thinking 3 is probably fine for 13.

While they do look cool, and the rain hood is a nice addition, only 2 chickens can eat at once out of a feeder. That is if your chickens are willing to share food with another chicken that close.

While it may hold a good bit, it still could cause fighting and food guarding due to such a small space for them to access food.

While they do look cool, and the rain hood is a nice addition, only 2 chickens can eat at once out of a feeder. That is if your chickens are willing to share food with another chicken that close.

While it may hold a good bit, it still could cause fighting and food guarding due to such a small space for them to access food.
You say only two, the manufacturer's say four per 1 feeder in the "More information" tab

I'm curious why they would say that, because saying only 2 would get people to buy more.

I bought one and stopped using it after a couple of days. The hood isn't as deep as it looks, so only my smallest hen could really get her head up under it to get into the tray part, and certainly not a rooster. I thought I would keep it for her to eat from since the more feeding spots the better, but humidity was causing the dust in the feed to cake to the chambers within the tray and prevent more feed from coming out. I don't know why they didn't just do one solid tray instead of giving it several dividers like that, it doesn't make sense. You have to screw the pieces together and they don't fit as well as they look. Also the lid doesn't fit firmly on, so it was constantly getting knocked off.

You say only two, the manufacturer's say four per 1 feeder in the "More information" tab

I'm curious why they would say that, because saying only 2 would get people to buy more.
They say 4, but the second to last picture betrays that claim. There are 2 normal sized hens on the left of the picture that are eating out of the same feeder, and their 2 heads barely fit in there. It definitely does not look like 4 would fit there.
Screenshot_20240619-142506_Gallery.jpg

Back
Top Bottom