What did you do in the garden today?

Tip your lame more too, not vertical. I cannot tell if that's what your doing or not.
It's not the angle, I already have that part down, it has something to do with the steam, spring, and temperature. I am very close to finding a solution. I am using a portable Breville smart oven, so it's a little different. I will also drop my temperature knob to 425F instead of 450F and reduce if needed from there. I'll post a picture of how the dough looks like before the additional slanted 7-minute score, and what it looks like after another 13 minutes covered.

Last edited:
I have that oven. LOVE IT.
I usually have to drop the temp 5-10 degrees. and it runs dry for bread, so I spritz the loaf with water before inserting and drop an ice cube or two on the slide out tray, avoiding the elements.
You need to spring before the crust sets, which is tricky in the little oven, but you'll find the sweet spot.

I run the convection for the first 10 minutes only.

I have that oven. LOVE IT.
I usually have to drop the temp 5-10 degrees. and it runs dry for bread, so I spritz the loaf with water before inserting and drop an ice cube or two on the slide out tray, avoiding the elements.
You need to spring before the crust sets, which is tricky in the little oven, but you'll find the sweet spot.

I run the convection for the first 10 minutes only.
Now I’m really curious. I baked cookies, small cakes, and biscuits in the counter top ovens, but I never thought to do a loaf of bread in it. I may be making bread tomorrow because I can’t deal with the store bought crap any longer. I usually bake my sourdough bread in loaf pans since I mainly use it for breakfast toast. I may bake one in the countertop oven and one in the regular oven and see how they compare.

The breville is a larger countertop open, just FYI. I actually use it more than my normal oven. (We used it 100% of the time when we were stationed in Alabama as the base gas oven gave me migraines) You really need that extra height for loaves to bake without scorching.
THAT said, I also use it for dutch oven bread in my flat top 2qt Dutch oven.

The breville is a larger countertop open, just FYI. I actually use it more than my normal oven. (We used it 100% of the time when we were stationed in Alabama as the base gas oven gave me migraines) You really need that extra height for loaves to bake without scorching.
THAT said, I also use it for dutch oven bread in my flat top 2qt Dutch oven.
My new oven is the Ninja Foodi XL. The inside is pretty big / deep so the loaf should be ok.

I compared the dimensions and my ninja is 13 inches high. Since the heat comes from the top I can cap the top of the loaf to keep it cooking more evenly. My loaves are not very tall either so it’s worth a try. The reason I bought a new oven was so I could use it more than the big oven to save electricity costs. The area I’m in has some of the highest per kilowatt costs in the country.

Watered garden this morning before work. We may finally get rain overnight, I heard 2 storm fronts with wind, lightening, the works, Just no hail please 🙏. Both DH & I got a bit overcome from heat by 3 today, as we were working mostly outside, so we came home early. High humidity, & getting higher later, feels like triple digits. Yup, sure does.
Screenshot_20240626_160524_WBOC Weather.jpg

Watered garden this morning before work. We may finally get rain overnight, I heard 2 storm fronts with wind, lightening, the works, Just no hail please 🙏. Both DH & I got a bit overcome from heat by 3 today, as we were working mostly outside, so we came home early. High humidity, & getting higher later, feels like triple digits. Yup, sure does.
View attachment 3873902
Is this a typical summer temperature? Somehow I thought it wasn't that hot there.

Back
Top Bottom