April Hatch Thread--Come Join Us!

Right!!
big_smile.png

Question...How long are eggs good at room temp before they should be tossed? I'm asking regarding eating them? I have been collecting silkie eggs for hatching but have some that are a few days older than I want to try hatching and I am wondering if they should go into the trash or if they are still okay to eat. They are 9 & 10 days old. I collect everyday and sometimes if I am busy it will be a couple of days until I get them all into cartons and in the fridge (for our consumption- I store the hatching eggs in the basement where it is cooler) and I know that is fine but I'm guessing 10 days is quite a stretch. If I have to throw them out anyway, I may stick them under a broody and see what happens so they aren't a total waste, but I don't want to tie up my incubators with them when I have an abundance of fresher ones. Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

I had a terrible dream last night. I built a large cabinet incubator/hatcher combination unit with redundant heat systems in the hatcher.
The thing is awfully heavy, not sure but probably close to 200 pounds and sits on a pedestal table for easy viewing and access. I occasionally worry about the weight.
This is where the dream comes in. I dreamt that I moved the incubator to an auditorium (can't imagine why) and it was on a very long table but with a slick surface like the one it's on now.
I dreamt I tried to move it by myself and got the table wet when I spilled the water source for the humidity. Someone then bumped the table and it started to slide on the wet surface and shot like a cannon off the other end and hit the wall. All the eggs inside (84) broke and all had chicks in them. I tried to get help picking up the pieces and my helpers dropped everything basically destroying the whole thing.
I was so relieved when I woke up cause it seemed so real.
th.gif

Question...How long are eggs good at room temp before they should be tossed? I'm asking regarding eating them? I have been collecting silkie eggs for hatching but have some that are a few days older than I want to try hatching and I am wondering if they should go into the trash or if they are still okay to eat. They are 9 & 10 days old. I collect everyday and sometimes if I am busy it will be a couple of days until I get them all into cartons and in the fridge (for our consumption- I store the hatching eggs in the basement where it is cooler) and I know that is fine but I'm guessing 10 days is quite a stretch. If I have to throw them out anyway, I may stick them under a broody and see what happens so they aren't a total waste, but I don't want to tie up my incubators with them when I have an abundance of fresher ones. Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Test them in a bowl of water. If they sink like a rock there still good. I know people in other countries don't refrig eggs.

I had a terrible dream last night. I built a large cabinet incubator/hatcher combination unit with redundant heat systems in the hatcher.
The thing is awfully heavy, not sure but probably close to 200 pounds and sits on a pedestal table for easy viewing and access. I occasionally worry about the weight.
This is where the dream comes in. I dreamt that I moved the incubator to an auditorium (can't imagine why) and it was on a very long table but with a slick surface like the one it's on now.
I dreamt I tried to move it by myself and got the table wet when I spilled the water source for the humidity. Someone then bumped the table and it started to slide on the wet surface and shot like a cannon off the other end and hit the wall. All the eggs inside (84) broke and all had chicks in them. I tried to get help picking up the pieces and my helpers dropped everything basically destroying the whole thing.
I was so relieved when I woke up cause it seemed so real.
th.gif
Scary dream! Did you run right out to check on the incubator?

I've always read that if you don't wash them they are okay on the kitchen counter for 30 days. Not washing them preserves the protective barrier that keeps germs out.

Test them in a bowl of water. If they sink like a rock there still good. I know people in other countries don't refrig eggs.

I found this picture on Pinterest. It's just a visual of what the PP was saying. I believe I read somewhere awhile ago, though, that farm fresh eggs (the ones you collect from your backyard) can stay out on your counter for 4 weeks and still be good to eat. Don't quote me on that though. This picture is pretty close to that theory though.

Like tony said they should be fine.
In some parts of Europe and throughout the Caribbean and Latin America eggs are just on the store shelves rather than refrigerated. When people get them home they don't refrigerate unless they aren't using them soon.
Those people are still alive.

Back
Top Bottom