Araucana thread anyone?

Ray_n_Debi, when my next hatch is over, we need to talk eggs.
wink.png
One way or another I'm going to get some hatching eggs from ya.
lol.png

Well, 2 chicks are out now, BOTH are tufted so far, the first one is fully dry and definitely rumpless.
celebrate.gif

Now the waiting game of gold duckwing male vs silver duckwing male vs silver duckwing female begins. It's definitely not a BBR female, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Quick question as to what is going on with Abe and his color. Is this gold leakage through black or something else entirely?

As you can tell, he was not too pleased with getting his picture taken from his "I will cut you" look. But look at his chest. A few black feathers are lightly laced in...white? He has gold on his shoulders and also developing on his neck. The sunlight washed a lot out.
77322_abe_gold_leakage_008.jpg

77322_abe_gold_leakage_009.jpg

Here he is making his escape, but you can see his back a bit better
77322_abe_gold_leakage_013.jpg

Warning - Picture overload.
wink.png
Lanae go ahead and use any of these photos, crop whatever you want out too.
smile.png

These are some good shank/sole photos I have.

First up, dark willow. Found on darker birds (black, birchen if it does exist, some BBR's)

6103149227_5a26a1b989_z.jpg

Yellow soles

6103699170_7a1bb0af61_z.jpg

Next up, normal willow legs. Found on duckwings and blue based birds.

6103147861_d541a4efa0_z.jpg

And then. . . . A willow legged bird cannot have white soles, but these look white. They're on a cock, so maybe the redness of his testosterone made them appear white/pink, I want to know, what do YOUR males' soles look like?

6103148733_a5fee72871_z.jpg

Underside of a willow legged hen. Again questionable.

6103695040_45ff1ffa88_z.jpg

However! What does reassure me though is that despite my silver duckwing hen's appearance of white soles, look at the sides, and there's surely yellow there.

6103695538_f425c09918_z.jpg

So then, here's a comparison of a truly slate legged, white soled bird. Notice the obvious slate blue shanks, going down to pink, then white.

6103701008_0f3b28383e_z.jpg

Top of a slate legged foot and leg.

6103152489_53de7c1824_z.jpg

Last but not least, this is willow influenced yellow. Found on splash, cuckoo, white, and other pale or dilute colored birds.

6103145945_131a50b6b5_z.jpg

Bottom

6103693590_6d6c0777eb_z.jpg

A truly yellow legged bird without willow there will have yellow legs and hints of red or orange with NO hints of green on the scales. Here's a cock bird with willow influenced yellow legs. Notice the hints of green in the scales again.

6103154399_431b38ced9_z.jpg

Last edited:
My 11 year old lab that has been around chickens all his life just killed one of my Cuckoo Araucana pullets.
hit.gif
hit.gif
She got out and Hubby didn't notice and all of a sudden he heard the ruckus. Instantly.
somad.gif

Quote:
He's carrying both gold and silver genes, so expect that white lacing effect on the chest to increase as he matures, also expect his neck to be almost entirely white/silver. He's basically going to look much like a "golden" Birchen, but, I'm sure what he is, is half Duckwing, half solid Black.

hugs.gif
Ray_n_Debi!! I'm soo sorry to hear of that. My Tolbunt Polish have been mauled by my mom's dogs countless times and it sure gets me
somad.gif
every time, but if I lost them, I think I'd lose my marbles.

Last edited:
Quote:
Fantastic work Illia!
Honestly, be very very happy that I am nowhere near you right now or I might just smack a big kiss on your cheek! This is priceless stuff here.

Back
Top Bottom