Are grit and oyster shells necessary?

minou33

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Colorado
I'm a new chick owner am trying to get an idea of what supplies I will need for them. I have ordered Scratch and Peck organic feed as their layer feed. Hopefully this lasts a long time because I ordered 50 lbs. and will wait till they finish their grower feed. But what else do I need? I hear mixed information about whether they need grit or oyster shells or diatamaceous earth dust bath? And if so, what age would I start giving the grit (some say now)?

I'm a new chick owner am trying to get an idea of what supplies I will need for them. I have ordered Scratch and Peck organic feed as their layer feed. Hopefully this lasts a long time because I ordered 50 lbs. and will wait till they finish their grower feed. But what else do I need? I hear mixed information about whether they need grit or oyster shells or diatamaceous earth dust bath? And if so, what age would I start giving the grit (some say now)?
If you are going to give the Scratch and Peck feed, they need grit. It's very inexpensive. If they have year round access to small stones they can use for the gizzard, you can get away with not having grit. I keep a full container as an insurance policy.

If you are feeding a non-layer feed, you need to offer oyster shell on the side to meet the calcium needs of egg layers.

Diatomaceous earth is a waste of money at best and a respiratory irritant at worst. Save your money. All chickens need for a dust bath is loose dry dirt.

The purpose of feeding them oyster shells would be if they are not getting enough calcium. If you noticed they might be deficient I would try crushing up their egg shells and feed it to them. That is what I have done with my chickens and have had no problems.

The purpose of feeding them oyster shells would be if they are not getting enough calcium. If you noticed they might be deficient I would try crushing up their egg shells and feed it to them. That is what I have done with my chickens and have had no problems.

At what age do you do the egg shells? THe starter chick food I got says it all they need until 18 weeks and now I am reading about grit. Can you advise please. My 11 chicks are 2 weeks old.

I offer Chick Grit at 2 weeks. 20191228_160909_resized.jpg .
At 7 weeks I also offer Poultry Grit. 20191228_160551_resized.jpg .
At 16 weeks I offer Oyster Shells. 20191228_160027_resized.jpg .
I use 20 oz pails one for Poultry Grit and one for Oyster Shell.
Poultry Grit can replace Chick Grit after 10 weeks. Save any left over Chick Grit for future chicks.
I drilled several 3/32 holes in pail to drain moisture. 20181214_095809.jpg . I removed handle and used an eye screw to mount. Turn eye screw to remove. GC

Last edited:
At what age do you do the egg shells? THe starter chick food I got says it all they need until 18 weeks and now I am reading about grit. Can you advise please. My 11 chicks are 2 weeks old.
We didn’t give the them eggshells until they had been laying for a few months. You can usually tell by looking at the eggs if they need more calcium or not. If the egg has a weak shell or the chickens are not laying eggs, and they should be, would both be signs the chickens might need more calcium. If you are eating the eggs anyway, it may be helpful to crush up the shells and throw them out for the hens that need them. The hens that need the calcium will eat the shells. As for the grit, that would not be necessary unless you are feeding them something that needs to be crushed in order to digest. If you are feeding them crumbles it is easily digested and grit would not be required. If you are feeding them cracked corn or other natural foods like vegetables or seeds then grit would be required.

I do not need to give my chickens grit. They free range and get grit from the environment. Layer pellets contain calcium to promote strong egg shells but once a month I provide a supplemental scoop of crushed oyster shell (thats the time it takes for 9 hens to use it up).

I offer Chick Grit at 2 weeks.View attachment 2076535.
At 7 weeks I also offer Poultry Grit.View attachment 2076540.
At 16 weeks I offer Oyster Shells.View attachment 2076547.
I use 20 oz pails one for each Grit and one for Oyster Shell.
Poultry Grit can replace Chick Grit after 10 weeks. Save any left over Chick Grit for future chicks.
I drilled several 3/32 holes in pail to drain moisture.View attachment 2076563. I removed handle and used an eye screw to mount. Turn eye screw to remove. GC

Thank you Do you just add it to their food and how much.

I do not need to give my chickens grit. They free range and get grit from the environment. Layer pellets contain calcium to promote strong egg shells but once a month I provide a supplemental scoop of crushed oyster shell (thats the time it takes for 9 hens to use it up).
When they move to the coop they will be on sand, will that be enough?

Back
Top Bottom