Are you from Costa Rica too?

Costa Rica Art

Songster
10 Years
Dec 30, 2009
Los Angeles Sur, Costa Rica
Greetings for Costa Rica,
frow.gif
I have been so busy that I didn't see this till now so here I am. I have my laying hens, Ponedoras, producing an egg a day for a couple of months. We just added the two Silkies (roo & hen) and two Jardineros (roo & hen). The two roosters are still deciding who is cock of the walk
yippiechickie.gif
. I've wanted the Silkies for some time but they are too expensive here till I met Juan's sister-in-law, she sold me a pair for $10.00, others wanted up to $60.00 for a pair. I'm hoping the Silkie hen will be a good brood hen
D.gif
. The little black Jardinero wants to sit already. I may put an egg under her just to see what happens. We live in the Central Valley in a village called Los Angeles Sur (South LA for a joke
lau.gif
) just north of San Ramon de Alajuela. We have been here just a little over two years and are loving our retirement here
love.gif

Hola, yo vive en St. Louis, MO. I worked in Alajuela earlier this year volunteering at a Macaw restoration program. That was my second time there. I'm planning on moving to CR. About to start my paperwork for residency.
Chickens seem to be everywhere there. I was curious about the availability of feeds, and chicken breeds in the central valley or in CR in general.
I started raising chickens and bees here, I have 21 varieties, 10 laying hens, Freedom Rangers for broilers and 17 different varieties of 6 week olds. Some will join the layers some will go to freezer camp. I have always been a gardener and parents had a farm when I was growing up but most of this is to further educate myself toward a self suffient end.
Guy

have you been able to find any sources for incubators here ? We live in the Central valley also ,started in Sarchi and moving back east and higher, around 7000 ft ,who would believe , sweatsuits and fires every night. Getting ready for cheese making again and a wood fired oven.

Greetings and welcome to BYC. I haven't looked for them but my feed store says they can get them in San Ramon. Both the silkie hen and bantam hens are my brooders. So far the silkie hen has hatched several egg hens and adopts meat chicks as if they are her own. She has 4 meat chicks now, her last eggs had gotten cold so they never hatched so we just bought the 4 day old meat chicks and put them in with her. The chicks went right under her, she fluffed right up, settled on them and started making her momma sounds. We have placed eggs for laying hens under the bantam hen when she starts setting, she hatches them with her eggs and raises them. It is funny to see her leading them around the yard when the extras are nearly as big as her. We now have a good roo for the laying hens and will put a few eggs under the silkie when she sits again. It sure is nice not having to mess with a brooder. We have a 2nd silkie hen coming along hoping she will be as good an adoption mom as her mom is. This allows us to raise our meat and replacement egg chickens without all the hassle. We allow our chickens and guineas full run of our backyard, no bugs and the guineas take care of the leaf cutter ants. Oh yeah, there be a fire buring in our heat stove now, the wife likes it cozy at 3,800 feet.

thanks for the info and perhaps the Dos Pinos coop can supply one.We see a wide variety of birds up here.We had to move out of a bad rental deal last fall and put our poultry/garden plans on hold. We have broilers in the vicinity ,I seed the hatchery truck in town alot.
Wish we had the variety of birds to choose from here as we had in the states.
good hearing from you and networking the CR chickens
Mike

Ha.. I just sent you a message. I've developed a fever to somehow get myself some silkies. :)

We live in Costa Rica.. up in the mountains. It's about 1.5 hours away from Cahuita but that's the closest "real" town. We're currently rained in. It's dry now but if we get a few days of rain we can't get down the mountain.. the joys of living in the middle of nowhere LOL.

Do you know where I can get some silkies in this country? I would LOVE to add them to our crew. :)

That must be quite a road out of Cahuita. We stayed just south of Puerto Viejo a while.
The beach is nice but I love the mountains. I think I'd prefer to be up on a volcano.

As for breeds, I have heard there are Penedesencas scattered in Latin America. Have any of you seen them?
What about Quetros and Quechuas? I'd love to have Quetros
Feathersite says there are Quechuas in CR.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Rapa/BRKRapanui.html

Hi there, just sent you a message, will wait for your reply, Welcome to the group.
welcome-byc.gif

Art

Ha.. I just sent you a message. I've developed a fever to somehow get myself some silkies. :)

We live in Costa Rica.. up in the mountains. It's about 1.5 hours away from Cahuita but that's the closest "real" town. We're currently rained in. It's dry now but if we get a few days of rain we can't get down the mountain.. the joys of living in the middle of nowhere LOL.

Do you know where I can get some silkies in this country? I would LOVE to add them to our crew. :)

I'm not even sure how many chickens we have to be honest. We have 17 layers. We also have chickens we are raising for meat and I'm not sure what that count is at least 17ish of those.. I don't get attached to them because they become food :(. Then we have 3 bantams that are pets/ raising chicks for others to have for pets.. there's never a shortage of homes for those. :) We have 30 acres so they've got plenty of room to roam during the day then we have a nice chicken coop built for them at night. We'd never had chickens before we moved here so it's been fun raising them. It's our daily entertainment LOL

Back
Top Bottom