Arizona Chickens

I'm in Tempe, how far away are you?   

and what kind of chickens do you have.... 
I only need a few to fill up my back yard...
Thanks for answering

I'm in Sahuarita

Roosters:
Naked neck
White silkie
Ohiki
Buff Orpington/BlackCopperMarans

Hens:
Barred rock
Polish
Ameraucanas
Easter Eggers
Wellsummers
Black copper Marans
Splash Marans
Leghorns
Naked necks
Rhode Island Red
And a whole bunch of crosses

Thanks for answering

I have a variety of breeds since my flock is divided into pures, egg layers and meat birds, but my primary focus is the Naked Neck Turken. I've found them to be the perfect breed out here as they are exceptionally heat tolerant, very feed efficient, have outstanding temperaments, and are very easy to breed for specific traits. I've divided my NNs into egg layers, which average 5-6 large to jumbo eggs each per week and some of my birds lay blue to green as well as pink eggs; pure NNs, which tend to run a little smaller in size, have nice meaty frames, and still supply me with 4-6 large to jumbo eggs per week on average; and my meat NNs, which include crosses with other breeds to increase size and rate of growth. So far even these meat NNs are giving me plenty of eggs in their pullet year, so I've no complaints about them at all.

I currently have pure Silver Grey Dorking eggs in the incubator (at least I hope they're pure), and will be working on them as my heritage breed with a focus on meeting APA standards.

And finally, I plan to add Russian Orloffs to my flock, but haven't purchased the hatching eggs yet. This is yet another dual purpose breed that purportedly leans toward being a meat breed...and I've read that they eat Fire Ants. In all seriousness this is the primary reason I want to get the breed. We have A LOT of fire ants on our property.

I also have some Easter Eggers, Bielefelders, Australorps, Barred Rocks, Dark Cornish and Cornish mixes, White Rocks, Dorking mixes, a Silkie, and several crosses on my property. The only birds I warn against raising out here are the Bielefelders, which really aren't heat tolerant and tend to die of heat stroke far too easily.

@Banaynaychicken
Are you still interested in the Pekin?
Oh my gosh I totally forgot to tell you XD

Thankyou so much for offering him, but my Ag. teacher said that we are going to save the room we have for a, wait for it....

brood of call ducks!

she ordered an incubator and is going to get a batch of call duck eggs to hatch in it, for a test run.

so as much as I would love another one, we just cannot take him at this time.

Thanks for answering

I can hatch whenever. And I'd be more than welcome to sell you some chicks.

I'm hatching right now, but not for sale yet. Starting my new breed.
WOW
jumpy.gif

Thank-you for telling me about your chickens.
The two of you have so many cool breeds of chickens...
I raised RIR and EE, quail and a peacock when I was a kid,
When my kids were little, we had some mixed breeds a friend gave us...
I like certain looks and traits of different breeds, but don't have the space for a large flock... (20-30 as a kid)
I'm pretty sure Tempe,AZ limits me to 5 chickens, and I have 3..
I doubt my neighbors would report me, so I could push it a little, but no more then 8.
I'm pretty fickle
barnie.gif
about what I want; changing my mind every time I see a pretty chicken
I was content with my EE's ; I thought about bantams, or French somethings,
THEN, When I saw someone post about Marans, and their beautiful chocolate covered eggs, I fell in love and really wanted one.
Next I saw then Splash Austrolops, REally anything I get will be loved..
D.gif
... as long as they can survive our awful AZ heat..
yesss.gif

Last edited:
WOW
jumpy.gif

Thank-you for telling me about your chickens.
The two of you have so many cool breeds of chickens...
I raised RIR and EE, quail and a peacock when I was a kid,
When my kids were little, we had some mixed breeds a friend gave us...
I like certain looks and traits of different breeds, but don't have the space for a large flock... (20-30 as a kid)
I'm pretty sure Tempe,AZ limits me to 5 chickens, and I have 3..
I doubt my neighbors would report me, so I could push it a little, but no more then 8.
I'm pretty fickle
barnie.gif
about what I want; changing my mind every time I see a pretty chicken
I was content with my EE's ; I thought about bantams, or French somethings,
THEN, When I saw someone post about Marans, and their beautiful chocolate covered eggs, I fell in love and really wanted one.
Next I saw then Splash Austrolops, REally anything I get will be loved..
D.gif
... as long as they can survive our awful AZ heat..
yesss.gif

When it comes to withstanding the AZ heat I confess to being very biased as nothing has beaten the NNs when it comes to heat tolerance. The most I need to do for them is make sure they have shade and maybe a trickle of water to stand in from time to time to cool off. I know a lot of people don't care for them because of their looks, but once you have some their personalities alone will win you over. One of my hens literally comes running to my arms when I call her name, and because they can be crossed with other breeds you can get some amazing feathering patterns.

The other breeds I can recommend from first-hand experience for outstanding heat tolerance are Barred Rocks and White Rocks and Silkies. In my flock these are the other birds that have withstood 105* + with the least amount of assistance.

If a NN were cooped (or running free) would the other hens pick on them?

When it comes to withstanding the AZ heat I confess to being very biased as nothing has beaten the NNs when it comes to heat tolerance. The most I need to do for them is make sure they have shade and maybe a trickle of water to stand in from time to time to cool off. I know a lot of people don't care for them because of their looks, but once you have some their personalities alone will win you over. One of my hens literally comes running to my arms when I call her name, and because they can be crossed with other breeds you can get some amazing feathering patterns.

The other breeds I can recommend from first-hand experience for outstanding heat tolerance are Barred Rocks and White Rocks and Silkies. In my flock these are the other birds that have withstood 105* + with the least amount of assistance.

If a NN were cooped (or running free) would the other hens pick on them?

Beyond establishing regular pecking order, they're not picked on more than any other breed when a new bird is introduced to the flock. And despite being very friendly, these NNs also know how to stand their ground. One of my most peaceful NN girls has beaten up a few of my young and excessively amorous cockerels who wouldn't take "no" for an answer. I have one little NN that co-habitates with my Silkie and two frizzed EE, and others who prefer to live with larger, fluffier birds, like my Australorps.

Back
Top Bottom