Arizona Chickens

Our girls have slowed waaaay down on eating feed. They get Scratch and Peck grower mash.

After we culled our cockerel we noticed a drop in feed consumption. I figured he had been eating a lot because he was a boy but that was about a week ago and the flock is still slowing down on eating feed, so it wasn't just him.

They gobble up any cold treats we give them but we don't want to give them so many cold treats that their nutrition is thrown out of balance.

They are 11-14 weeks old so this is their first summer. Is it that they aren't growing as fast? Is it the heat? I think we've been 100+ for about three weeks, if not longer.

Does your flock eat less feed during high temps?
Yeah, they will slow down on feed when it's super hot. I also don't feed scratch in hot months. My rationale is that the corn is harder to process, requiring more energy to digest, which means more heat generated. Is it a lot? No, probably miniscule all things considered, but when it's over 105 I look for every trick I can find to keep them cooler.

Make them frozen salads. Shredded carrots, leafy greens, the like. Put some in ice cube trays or like a jello mold and freeze it. They get a cool treat and reasonable nutrition, plus they have to work at it to get it out of the ice. Watermelon is also decent. Sweet fruits in moderation. You can toss a few mealworms in your salad too for motivation.

Our girls have slowed waaaay down on eating feed. They get Scratch and Peck grower mash.

After we culled our cockerel we noticed a drop in feed consumption. I figured he had been eating a lot because he was a boy but that was about a week ago and the flock is still slowing down on eating feed, so it wasn't just him.

They gobble up grubs and any cold treats we give them but we don't want to give them so many that their nutrition is thrown out of balance.

They are 11-14 weeks old so this is their first summer. Is it that they aren't growing as fast? Is it the heat? I think we've been 100+ for about three weeks, if not longer.

They do. I add just a small portion of corn free scratch to cold wet feed in the morning and add their fruit to some more each evening to make sure they’re getting their nutrients. I’m really worried about the temps at the end of the week.

They get what we call chicken cole slaw which is cold diced cabbage and carrots, and we add to that whatever kitchen scraps we have. They get ice blocks with berries or peas or other veggies frozen into them.

I just bought some suet cages and we stuff fresh greens into those. The first time I hung one in the coop they immediately ran away from it. "What the heck is THAT?" 🤣

They wouldn't go anywhere near it so I just left it there and went back inside the house. I kept an eye on it via the coop camera. Eventually one of the RIRs ever-so-slowly approached it. "Is... is that... could it be... food...?" *peck peck* Now when I hang it up the greens are gone within minutes.

I'm in area with lower than 3 digit temps,, but it is still summer. I notice a lower feed consumption during hot weather. Now,, in my area the cicadas are plentiful also. another couple weeks and it will be over. That also contributed to lower feed consumption.
Watermelon is also decent.
I have been giving watermelon to my chickens year- round. I usually give the heel end with some red flesh still there. They eat the interior all the way to the outer skin.
Being SUMMER,,,,, we consume much watermelon. I take all the green remains of the melon,,, and grind that up in a designated meat grinder I have just for the chickens purpose.
In no time,,, all is consumed.
I will post a picture of my setup next time I do it.

I have been giving watermelon to my chickens year- round. I usually give the heel end with some red flesh still there. They eat the interior all the way to the outer skin.
Being SUMMER,,,,, we consume much watermelon. I take all the green remains of the melon,,, and grind that up in a designated meat grinder I have just for the chickens purpose.
In no time,,, all is consumed.
I will post a picture of my setup next time I do it.
David Mitchell Outsiders GIF

My experience over the last 45 years is that once we hit about 108 to 110, the ground surface pushes so much heat out that only the strongest storms can push in. Otherwise they just slide along the edges of the heat islands and stay out in the desert. I'm hopeful but not expecting anything in the phx area.

My experience over the last 45 years is that once we hit about 108 to 110, the ground surface pushes so much heat out that only the strongest storms can push in. Otherwise they just slide along the edges of the heat islands and stay out in the desert. I'm hopeful but not expecting anything in the phx area.
I agree, it’s just too hot at that point.

I just heard the other day that the efforts to cool the valley with green spaces may be thwarting the monsoons, hence why they don’t come as often as they used to.

I agree, it’s just too hot at that point.

I just heard the other day that the efforts to cool the valley with green spaces may be thwarting the monsoons, hence why they don’t come as often as they used to.
I read that article too. The idea is that the abundance of green spaces helps stabilize the air and reinforces the heat dome causing the storms to lose energy and either push around or dissipate.

Back
Top Bottom