Arkansas folks speak up.........

We are on year 7 now
roll.png
Guess the clock is ticking
wink.png

The fair was kinda blah when we went, but it was raining and the birds were not there yet. Have not seen any giant geese for sale was that the breed or are they a giant version of a breed? My favorite goose is the Toulouse. They look and taste nice and they are very calm. I have not gotten up the nerve to try geese in the backyard yet, but you never know.

Hey, I don't know if anyone wants to go but there is a chickens show in Haynesville,La... on Nor. 21, 09..North Louisiana Poultry Club (Pelican State Classic) For enties you can call Jim Crain at 318-927-2795...

We got to the Fair about 4pm yesterday and all of the chickens, geese, ducks, turkeys were there!!!!!!
I opened my arms in the doorway and declared to Phil that this was a wonderful sight!
There was a nice selection of good looking birds, really really enjoyed it. I fell in love with a Buttercup rooster. I don't know if this is the standard but his comb looked like moose antlers. The hens had the round crown I thought was a buttercup but what a cool comb on the rooster!!
I also liked the La Fleche. I didn't realized they have a face like the white faced black spanish.
Didn't see any marans.

Also met a famous milk goat lady, Debby Taylor, who lives in my area. She does commercial milking and I can't wait to visit her and all of her goats. We have an alpine we really enjoy and are going to breed her to get another great milk goat hopefully.

I stopped at Home Depot on the way back and got some deck spindles for 50 cents each (what a deal) and a palm tree for $20.
Phil got a little grouchy at that point and I had to feed him. We had some subs.

great day!!!!

Im outta the loop on this topic. 0 years of marriage
wink.png

Tonight I get to go to Beebe for a family thing and see how the deer heards are doing. Im hoping for a good season.
Sunday I will be in Hot Springs. I hope the girls will be Ok. My mother-in-law likes them, but is kinda scared of them too. I just asked her to keep an eye on them and make sure they have food and water. I will be back on Tuesday.
Lots of travle in store!

the neighbors dog was here this morning and helped himself to one of my pullets that were hatched this summer. I went down the road like a crazy person in my robe and woke my neighbors up. My biscuits are still turning out more like rocks. (my mom says I am over working the dough) I should of thrown one at the dog, i think it would of knocked him out. I have an old cattle prod that belonged to my grandpa and I am seriously thinking of buying batteries for it. I guess I'll call our vet Monday and see what she thinks a cattle prod would do to a 50 pound dog. I am having a bad, bad weekend do far.
sad.png

Sorry about your girl. If the don't keep the dog locked up, the next time it showed up on your property I would drop it with a little .22 and never tell the owners. I guarantee it will come back and back and back and back.

Steph barely mixes the wet and dry together for the biscuits. She said gently folding 5 or 6 times mixes it as much as it needs to be. Hers turn out nice and fluffy. Give that a try. Don't feel bad she was baking bricks her first few batches. I used to tell her I was going to save them and put in a cobble stone path
wink.png

Dawn, That is a shame about your pullet.

I purchased a pellet (BB type) gun at Walmart for about $80 when I moved here. The neighbors dog used to really make a pest of himself.
That definitely kept him on the other side of the road.
Lisa

I'm so sorry about your pullet Dawn. I hope the neighbors will keep the dog up after that. I know how aggrevating it is to put up with people like that.

My neighbors pit bull actually came to our yard today too. He's been there a couple time in the past, but not for a while, and both times the chickens happened to be up.......he breaks his chains and clasps.

This time the chickens were out, but I heard my dogs acting up and figured something was in the front yard. I got him just before he got around the corner. He rolled over and acted cute long enough for me to grab a section of one of those cable pulley system things you use for dogs, so they can run the length of the yard (can't recall what those are called right now). I just happened to take one down recently. The dog that was on it died a couple of years ago (she was about 16, and she was a digger so I had to keep her on it), but I couldn't bare to take it down then, and it happened to be laying in the yard, so I unhooked the piece that you hook the dog to and hooked it to his collar and walked him home. Now, how lucky was that that I had that cable thing laying right there!?! Seriously! If he'd have gone about 4 or 5 more feet he'd have seen around the corner of the fence and seen the chickens in the back yard. Too close for comfort. I went over and hooked the other end of the cable to his kinked up chain and yelled for the owner. He was in the backyard working on his dog pen. I didn't even know they'd made him one, but evidently it's not keeping him in any better than the chains have been! I guess I won't be able to let the chickens out now. I just hate that! I have one nice 6 foot run, but the chickens on the other side of the barn only have a 4 foot run, and they can fly over if they want to. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Simple. Build your own dog-proof fence so your birds can range in the whole yard.

That's what I did. We had a single e-wire that kept our dog in just fine. The fence is for the birds.

Simple. Build your own dog-proof fence so your birds can range in the whole yard.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. I went to considerable expense to build a nice solid 6 foot tall run this year for one side of the barn/coop. The other 4 foot tall run on the other side for the rest of the flock is HUUUGE, and I just can't afford to totally redo it too right now....mainly for reasons that have to do with my ex and no child support but I won't go into all that. I'm sure we all have it hard right now.

Plus, I have 3 & 1/2 acres in all. I have most of the pasture area around the coops and runs fenced also, but it's field fencing, which is not Pit Bull proof. Pit Bull proof would be almost the same as bear proof! ...and remember, this dog just got through his brand new dog pen!

I also have electric wire TOP & BOTTOM on my chain link fenced back yard to keep my dogs in and away from the birds. Just ticks me off that they:

#1 - had a pit bull on a short and flimsy chain to start with.

#2 - finally built a pen for him but it's not strong enough to even keep him in.

And forget about the chickens for just a minute.......WHAT ABOUT MY 6 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER!​

Back
Top Bottom