Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hey appps. How is Carl going?

She is still going but I really don't know how. I couldn't get her droppings back to normal no matter what I tried and all she wanted to do was drink lots of water and eat dirt. I would get her eating properly again and then let her out with the others and it would all go back to where we started. I was actually quite concerned her kidneys had shut down as hadn't seen white in her poop since before the op.

Well I've had her locked in one of those indoor bunny cages in the coop every day till about 4pm with access to only food and water for the last three weeks. She seemed to be putting on weight put poops were still diareah consistency. About a week ago I started boiling oats to soften them in a large amount of water then draining so it was still like oats not porridge and adding that to her food. (Oats are supposed to be great for good gut bacteria to feed on) About 4 days ago she finally started to get white back in her poop! So excited by that lol and the consistency is getting better. There was one from yesterday that was thick enough to hold its shape even if it wasn't yet a normal looking poop. So I am really crossing fingers we are finally getting somewhere! I'm not letting her out yet because she still tends to head to the dirt given the chance but I'm more optimistic than I've been for a long time.

Oh and the water drinking is better too, she was going through Two 500ml water dishes a day and now she's down having some water left in the first one.

Hey Fizzybelle .. that sucks!
sad.png

Yeah, I have read that if they are actually pooping them, the worm infestation is large so I am not surprised she is feeling under the weather .. poor thing. Hopefully she will pick up soon.

Worms are one of the reasons I use ACV. While I know that it is not a wormer as such, it is reported to maintain a good pH balance in their digestive system and makes it a little uncomfortable for worms to live in so more of a hopeful preventative between the 6 month worming they get.

Thanks Teila :) Yeah she's passing some with just about every poo, so it must be bad. My fault for not worming her sooner. You get so much conflicting information - do it every 3 months, or do it only if you see worms, ect. I will be keeping a more regular schedule from now on, especially in summer.

I normally add probiotics to their water but I ran out an neglected to get more, which I will remedy today. I usually use the soluble vetafarm ones. I did used to occasionally add chilli flakes to their food to upset any worms, I might do that again.

Annabelle did just eat some toast, my toast of course, but that's ok. Toast is always good for a sick tummy, and glad she was happy to eat something :)

She is still going but I really don't know how. I couldn't get her droppings back to normal no matter what I tried and all she wanted to do was drink lots of water and eat dirt. I would get her eating properly again and then let her out with the others and it would all go back to where we started. I was actually quite concerned her kidneys had shut down as hadn't seen white in her poop since before the op.

Well I've had her locked in one of those indoor bunny cages in the coop every day till about 4pm with access to only food and water for the last three weeks. She seemed to be putting on weight put poops were still diareah consistency. About a week ago I started boiling oats to soften them in a large amount of water then draining so it was still like oats not porridge and adding that to her food. (Oats are supposed to be great for good gut bacteria to feed on) About 4 days ago she finally started to get white back in her poop! So excited by that lol and the consistency is getting better. There was one from yesterday that was thick enough to hold its shape even if it wasn't yet a normal looking poop. So I am really crossing fingers we are finally getting somewhere! I'm not letting her out yet because she still tends to head to the dirt given the chance but I'm more optimistic than I've been for a long time.

Oh and the water drinking is better too, she was going through Two 500ml water dishes a day and now she's down having some water left in the first one.
That's great news Appps, and we all I'm sure, get excited over seeing normal looking chicken poop lol

Last edited:
Thanks Teila :) Yeah she's passing some with just about every poo, so it must be bad. My fault for not worming her sooner. You get so much conflicting information - do it every 3 months, or do it only if you see worms, ect. I will be keeping a more regular schedule from now on, especially in summer.

I normally add probiotics to their water but I ran out an neglected to get more, which I will remedy today. I usually use the soluble vetafarm ones. I did used to occasionally add chilli flakes to their food to upset any worms, I might do that again.

Annabelle did just eat some toast, my toast of course, but that's ok. Toast is always good for a sick tummy, and glad she was happy to eat something :)

Ideally they should be wormed every 3 months, think about it , they are ground feeders and that's where all the nasty worm ocyst are.
When you see worms that means your birds are infested and it is better to just use something like piparazine for the first dose and then follow up with stronger avitrol. The reason for doing this is that once the birds are infested if you kill all of the worms at once they can clog the birds system resulting in death. The piparazine only kills ascardia ( round worm ) , whereas the avitrol covers most poultry internal parasites. I would be giving her some buttermilk to help lining of her stomach. :)

It's also imperative to reworm or follow up in 10 days to get any hatching eggs in birds system.

Last edited:
Good morning folks :frow

I do have to chuckle, in the mornings I am still putting on the shorts and T-shirt to go out and feed the girls but hubby has on track suit pants, T-shirt, windcheater, socks and runners  :lau  Both he and his cat Syba are sooks when it comes to cooler weather and I do delight in calling them Frogs! Lol  Funny thing is, hubby has lived in Canada and Tasmania; you would think he would have just a little tolerance for what he says is cold ;)

potato chip aaaw, that little girl is adorable!  I love her colouring .. gimmeee! Lol

Hey satay sorry to hear that you may have nasties in the coop.  I am not familiar with Maldison.  With the mite infestation I had, I followed Fancy’s advice and went with alternating between Surface Spray and Yates Success Ultra.  I do know that some do not like using Pestene as it may have been linked with Alzheimer’s but I do use it to dust the girls and the nest boxes if mites/lice are present.  I just dusted the girls once and thoroughly cleaned and sprayed the coop/nest boxes for three weekends in a row and got them beaten.

I am so pleased that Miss Frizz is OK now .. she is so darn cute!

Thanks. I might just be loosing my mind but i went to check the two aussies this morning and nothing on their faces at all today. Could it go that quick? Anyways ill check and keep an eye on them and will do a complete coop clean and spray a couple of times a week for the next few weeks and see how i go.

Ideally they should be wormed every 3 months, think about it , they are ground feeders and that's where all the nasty worm ocyst are.
When you see worms that means your birds are infested and it is better to just use something like piparazine for the first dose and then follow up with stronger avitrol. The reason for doing this is that once the birds are infested if you kill all of the worms at once they can clog the birds system resulting in death. The piparazine only kills ascardia ( round worm ) , whereas the avitrol covers most poultry internal parasites. I would be giving her some buttermilk to help lining of her stomach. :)

It's also imperative to reworm or follow up in 10 days to get any hatching eggs in birds system.

I so agree with you. I worm 3 monthly more because I'm paranoid about them getting worms. I mix up my wormers so they don't become immune. Being that i hatch and sell alot of birds each season I'm probably over the top with some things but reputation is everything if your a breeder so the though of someone getting any animal that is not 100% is just not an option for me. Edited to add I'd be just as o t t on my animal care even if i didn't breed and sell.

Last edited:

That sounds like she is making better progress now.
263a.png
she should get an award for the strongest fighter
263a.png

Last edited:
Thanks. I might just be loosing my mind but i went to check the two aussies this morning and nothing on their faces at all today. Could it go that quick? Anyways ill check and keep an eye on them and will do a complete coop clean and spray a couple of times a week for the next few weeks and see how i go.

It could just be stick flea. Here's the info again on mites. :)
Take note that the red fowl mite leaves the host during the day , so the best time to look for them in the coop is during the day. On the other hand the Northern fowl mite spends its entire life cycle on the bird, so the best time to inspect birds is at night when they are roosting.

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2540&Itemid=2816

Back
Top Bottom