Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Thanks Wooklet. After the council guy came the other day the dog busted back into my yard not 10mins later . It's is so annoying. I have to be careful with the electric fence so I will go see the council on how to do it mainly because this is the same neighbour who's toddler i found in my husbands shed one day. It's about 500 metres from their house to our shed. I would not want one so young to be hit by it. This toddler I also found wandering in my turkey pen one day and went out to get him out and he growled at me like a dog. Regardless to say they take about as much care of the kids as they do the dogs.

Hi everyone. I live in Laidley. Although not new to owning chickens. After moving from WA nearly 3 years ogo I finall got my chook pen. With a little assistance from neighbours. One donated the frame work. Old water pipe. Another gave time and knowledge in the construction. And my two sons and two daughters also helped with the building and hole digging and wiring and all the other jobs that needed doing to construct my wonderful pen. Now everytime I put food scraps in the chook bucket I say" I'm glad I'ved got chickens" instead of throwing food in the bin and saying "wish I had chickens" . My pen is 6m x 4m and about 2m high. I have 7 australorps, 3 leghorns and 3 silkies. but 2 of them are roosters so they dont count as egg givers. Willsend one of the roosters to my sister in law. Anyway would loveto hear from other members.

Hi everyone.  I live in Laidley.  Although not new to owning chickens.  After moving from WA nearly 3 years ogo I finall got my chook pen.  With a little assistance from neighbours.  One donated the frame work.  Old water pipe.  Another gave time and knowledge in the construction.  And my two sons and two daughters also helped with the building and hole digging and wiring and all the other jobs that needed doing to construct my wonderful pen.  Now everytime I put food scraps in the chook bucket I say" I'm glad I'ved got chickens" instead of throwing food in the bin and saying "wish I had chickens" . My pen is 6m x 4m and about 2m high.   I have 7 australorps, 3 leghorns and 3 silkies. but 2 of them are roosters so they dont count as egg givers.  Willsend one of the roosters to my sister in law. Anyway would loveto hear from other members.

:welcome And the aussie thread. We are practically neighbours as I live in Esk. Glad to see another qlder join us.

Last edited:
Sorry everyone no pics of the baby yet. Have been having major problems with the next door neighbours dog again getting in trying too attack my animals. It got 2 of my ducks last week a black muscovey (one of the babies from early this year) and my only welsh harliquin. Unfortunately our council is as useless as and after call number 4 to them in a matter of weeks. They came around yesterday and collected the dogs coat that it had left behind in the last attack. The council guys seemed to only care that they had now registered the dogs (they have 2 but we only have an issue with one of them) and not really care that it is still getting in attacking my animals. I am thinking of now going along the lines of electric fence on the side fence between our place and theirs but not sure if I am legally allowed to do that so will have to do more looking into it.

im not sure about your state laws but you can use an electric fence legally as long as a sign is on it saying it is and that its on your property. As for attacking dogs it should be listed as dangerous under the animal companions act (i think) once it kills other animals - I would ring the police and tell them it had a go at you aswell that will get them moving

That is sooooo cool. I never thought that I would get a response from someone so close. Nice to meet you.

this is the broody box with picture windows! It really is fun being able to watch them all the time! Those are 7 Malay chicks in there,I took that a week ago and they have just about doubled in size from then!

welcome-byc.gif
13 chooks!

Satay,I agree you should tell them the dogs are having a go at you,something will have to be done to protect your livestock!

Thanks,I love it too! I am having the best fun with it!!It all started when I had a 2 ft aquarium as a brooder,and it was so nice to be able to see them all the time that I asked hubby (who is a glazier by trade) if he could put a window in the old broody box and this is the result - Reckon we should market it!

Wooklet that brooder looks better than TV!!! Recently we had a council clean up in my area- I saw a huge Tv and thought about what a wonderful brooder I could make of it- removing the insides and putting perspex at the front so i could watch the ducklings.

It's a LOT better than TV because I don't have to watch the ads!! lol! A lot of people use old tv's as fish tanks,but I reckon a 3 - 4 ft aquarium would be great for ducklings!

Back
Top Bottom