Baby chick respiratory

Clt1988

In the Brooder
May 5, 2024
I'm in desperate need to know if ANYONE has any advice. I just bought 2 frizzle polish chicks from a lady that are almost 5 weeks old. They seemed fine when I brought them home but have since developed a sneeze. They sound "raspy" when breathing. Other than that they are eating drinking and pooping as normal. I'm concerned because I ha e read that is it's a respiratory disease they can carry it forever and I don't want to chance putting them with the rest of my flock. Any advice would be helpful PLEASE. Do I get rid of them? Is it safe to put them with my flock?

I did have fine pine Shavings in the brooder box with them. Have since changed but nothing has change with them. Also have been Appling vetrx. No mucus on their eyes or nose. Will attach pictures. They do have a bubble fluid looking filled pouch in the neck area. Maybe crop? Not sure
Also lady did say she had been keeping outside and inside at night....I have kept inside mostly with heat light at night. I don't know if this could have made them sick?

Attachments

• 20240618_124712.jpg
    20240618_124712.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240618_124708.jpg
    20240618_124708.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240618_124735.jpg
    20240618_124735.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240618_125018.jpg
    20240618_125018.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240618_125038.jpg
    20240618_125038.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 3
I have younger than that staying outside overnight. It depends on the temps both daytime and nighttime. Here, if it's below 60F at night, we turn on the Cozy Coop radiant heater. Above 60F, they cuddle up in their temp coop hutch at night. I have a thermostat in there and it gets to 74F just with the chicks being in there, no heat, and 60-ish outside.

At 5 weeks old indoors, they shouldn't need any heat, but if they start acting sick, I'd leave it on very low.

It could be something in the area they are in now that they aren't used to or are allergic to.

I'd put them on Poultry Cell water every other day for a week or two. That should help them get over whatever it is.

I think if you get them outside, it would help too.

I have younger than that staying outside overnight. It depends on the temps both daytime and nighttime. Here, if it's below 60F at night, we turn on the Cozy Coop radiant heater. Above 60F, they cuddle up in their temp coop hutch at night. I have a thermostat in there and it gets to 74F just with the chicks being in there, no heat, and 60-ish outside.

At 5 weeks old indoors, they shouldn't need any heat, but if they start acting sick, I'd leave it on very low.

It could be something in the area they are in now that they aren't used to or are allergic to.

I'd put them on Poultry Cell water every other day for a week or two. That should help them get over whatever it is.

I think if you get them outside, it would help too.
Thank you for you advice. I appreciate it. If the sneezing stops and as they get of age do you feel it safe to put them with my existing flock??

Thank you for you advice. I appreciate it. If the sneezing stops and as they get of age do you feel it safe to put them with my existing flock??
You might want to put your others on some Poultry Cell for a day or two as well just for the boost in their vitamins. Heck, I'd even do some probiotics for them all as well just for that boost to their digestive systems. That gets rid of bad bacteria in their system and replaces it with good bacteria.

As long as they seem they're improving, I wouldn't see the harm as your flock shouldn't be bothered by their allergies or whatever it is they're sneezing about. If they had a full-blown respiratory infection, then I wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom