BCM Chicks, color questions.

If you pull the tail feathers out they will grow back right away and you will see if they grow back white again. If you wait for him to moult, it could take six months you will probably be using him and breeding him and be six months down a bad road, lots of time and effort on a bunch of birds with traits that you didn't want, and no one else wants. Just grab a hold and yank quick. Hold tight, and snatch it quick. Just pull one to get the hang of it.

There has been so much mixing and matching that is hard to get a Marans that breeds true any more. It's really sad what has been done to a nice breed of chicken.

This does not only apply to Marans. People seem to randomly mix colours in many breeds.
It seems that people can see when egg colour is not right (with dark egg layers) & they can, usually, see when plumage colour or comb is not right but they cannot seem to see when type is wrong.
With internet, it ought not to be too difficult to compare ones birds with examples from the various club sites. Or, in the case of Marans, the Marans Club de France site.​

Quote:
You are soooooooooooo right. There has been so much mixing and matching that is hard to get a Marans that breeds true any more. It's really sad what has been done to a nice breed of chicken. Just look at the pictures and video of the APA qualifing show that was held in Ill. The birds were of such poor quality that there isn't another qualifing show scheduled until 2011.

Steve in NC

Where are they I would like to see the video and pictures?

I took a look at the video. It was difficult to determine from the video the quality of the birds but I did notice that a few did win ribbons.

Just like any new breed of bird, it takes time to breed birds to a standard. It is my understanding that there are experienced and inexperienced breeders that are working toward getting the black copper marans recognized. If the black copper Marans is in the same situation 5 years from now, then I believe one would be free to criticize the breed, but until then I believe it would be best to stay silent. I have been consulting with some of the Marans breeders so I do know something about the state of the birds.

I think at this time negative criticism is not needed, I do not have a problem with specific constructive criticism. But remember that along with constructive criticism also comes solutions that will help solve the problem.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom