Birchen OEGB Feathering Question

chickenlover2251

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
We have 2 2 1/2 week old week old Birchen OEGB chicks. We believe 1 is a male and one is a female (what do you guys think?). The pictures of birchen chicks that I have looked at look different than our chicks. 1 of our chicks is all black with one white feather on his wing, and the other has a black chipmunk pattern. The black chipmunk patterned one has specked wings instead of all black wings like she is supposed to. Will her feathers become black when she grows older? Will this disqualify her when she is shown? Also, she has all gray feet, but the other chick has half black and half white feet. Is this a disqualification. His beak is also all black which is ideal and has black flecks on the tip of his comb. The female has almost an all black beak and a normal looking comb. I guess what my overall question is, is do my Birchen OEGB chicks look like what they're supposed to? Is this what is looked for in show quality birds? Thanks!

I hope this pictures show up:

The all black chick (male?)

103918_img_9264.jpg

103918_img_9261.jpg

103918_img_9258.jpg

The chipmunk colored chick (female?)

103918_img_9255.jpg

103918_img_9254.jpg

103918_img_9253.jpg

You do not have Birchen.. You have a Silver Duckwing, and what is most likley a Silver Duckwing x Black.
A real Birchen ould have solid Black legs, feet, toes, toe nails, Solid black down (no lighter color anywhere) Black or very Dark face and comb.

Both would be disqualified if shown...

Last edited:
So the chipmunk one looks like a silver duckwing (cross maybe). What does the all black one look like?

Your chipmunk chick could be a birchen wheaten heterozygote. I have produced these. You will have to wait and see what the bird looks like as an adult. My guess is it will be black with a bunch of white showing. The chick has too much black in the beak- it appears to carry a birchen allele.

What color are the legs? They appear to have some black scales-if they do it is another indication it carries birchen.

Tim

Last edited:
Quote:
That may or may not habe been true. Ypu can make what appears to be a birchen crossing black and silver duckwing but.they will not reproduce a birchen.

Quote:
That may or may not habe been true. Ypu can make what appears to be a birchen crossing black and silver duckwing but.they will not reproduce a birchen.

You are correct if the black bird is extended black at the E locus. Birds will segregate in future offspring that are extended black, extended black heterozygotes or wild type.

But many times black birds are birchen at the E locus or a combination of extended black and birchen- so purebred birchen birds can segregate in future generations.

It all depends on the genes carried by the black bird.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom