Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I wouldn't give Corid if they don't need it but I would have it on hand.  Runny is okay, bloody is not.  And sometimes what looks bloody really isn't it is just the normal shedding of the intestinal lining. (Thank you Chicken Chick!)  

I have some chicks that don't grow as fast as others.  I really can't say if there is anything wrong.  I would give the chick or all of them a treat of egg yolks.  Eating is always good.

Just yolk, no white?

Well, I came home from work & I found the little one under the other birds. It was still breathing but barely. I got it out of the brooder & it's barely able to stand up. I put the water in front of it & after ducking its beak in a few times, it has been drinking but I don't think it's going to make it. I just don't know what to do.

Well, I came home from work & I found the little one under the other birds. It was still breathing but barely. I got it out of the brooder & it's barely able to stand up. I put the water in front of it & after ducking its beak in a few times, it has been drinking but I don't think it's going to make it. I just don't know what to do.
Go to Tractor Supply or your tack store. Buy the smallest bottle of Poultry Nutri-Drench. Give the chick one drop only by mouth. Put enough in the water to make it look like very weak tea. Keep it in their water for the 1st 2 weeks of life. You can read about it here: http://www.nutridrench.com
http://www.nutridrench.com/poultry-nutri-drench.html It is a top flight emergency nutritional supplement. Des not need to be digested. Mainlines directly into the bloodstream. Measurable in 30 minutes. I have been using it on my collies and poultry for over 10 years. Great stuff. 850,000 birds aren't wrong.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

Sorry to hear about that. In retrospect, the signs were not good. It was small, in the picture it's feathers are all in disarray...

Sometimes they just fail to thrive for reasons unknown. They look mopey, they look disheveled, and then they go. The other one is healthy so you are managing them correctly.

Sorry to hear about that. In retrospect, the signs were not good. It was small, in the picture it's feathers are all in disarray...

Sometimes they just fail to thrive for reasons unknown. They look mopey, they look disheveled, and then they go.  The other one is healthy so you are managing them correctly.  

It passed away in my hands a few minutes later. But thanks. I keep thinking..."well, your other birds are doing fine. This one didn't grow like the others. There's nothing more you could do."

And yeah, all the other 10 seem to be doing fine, expect my Welsummer.

Go to Tractor Supply or your tack store. Buy the smallest bottle of Poultry Nutri-Drench. Give the chick one drop only by mouth. Put enough in the water to make it look like very weak tea.  Keep it in their water for the 1st 2 weeks of life.  You can read about it here: http://www.nutridrench.com 
 http://www.nutridrench.com/poultry-nutri-drench.html   It is a top flight emergency nutritional supplement. Des not need to be digested. Mainlines directly into the bloodstream. Measurable in 30 minutes.  I have been using it on my collies and poultry for over 10 years. Great stuff. 850,000 birds aren't wrong.
 Best,
 Karen

They're older than 2 weeks at this point.

I'm wondering what BCM rooster temperament generally is like. If I keep this roo he will be around kids and unfamiliar people all the time so will need a friendly guy! thanks!

I'm wondering what BCM rooster temperament generally is like. If I keep this roo he will be around kids and unfamiliar people all the time so will need a friendly guy! thanks!

Years ago when I had my first BCM they were not man haters. A lot of folks here keep OEGamefowl and they always culled man haters.
My experience withBCM has been they are not aggressive to people. However understand that herd/flock/pack based societies understand pecking orders. While a tall adult human might be viewed as higher on pecking order, a short child might be another story. Children move and sound different than adults.
Raise up a rooster with respect, kindness and exposed to people, places, and things you want him comfortable around and he should be fine. And, first time he ain't? Crockpot therapy will solve problem.
Donna
Dandridge, TN
First Saturday in May is the Spring Fling Poultry Show in Newport, Tennessee

Back
Top Bottom