Black Copper Marans discussion thread

That was probably an inaccurate statement. They either did not start forming or stopped developing early in the cycle. The remainder that did not hatch had developed enough to be visible when candled late in incubation. I did not perform any post incubation yolk inspections on the unhatched eggs. I am happy with the chicks so far and hope to have some keepers out of this setting.

That was probably an inaccurate statement. They either did not start forming or stopped developing early in the cycle. The remainder that did not hatch had developed enough to be visible when candled late in incubation. I did not perform any post incubation yolk inspections on the unhatched eggs. I am happy with the chicks so far and hope to have some keepers out of this setting.
thumbsup.gif
BEST of luck. It's such a good feeling when you have even one that you can keep for breeding. I've hatched thousands of chicks, and end up keeping maybe 10% of them for breeding. When I see one that works for my breeding program, I'm so super happy! Make sure to keep really good records - when you find "that one" it will make it easier to replicate the breeding & move forward!!

I've been reading back trying to get a handle on color. Can someone please take a look at my FBCM and explain the color difference to me? Which one is right? Is my hen gold instead of copper? Is my rooster mahogany instead of copper? Is it acceptable to breed them together, and what should I look for from their offspring? I have some younger ones growing out from hatching eggs that I am hopeful for, but these are the adults I have to work with at the moment. Both were hatched in May, I believe the hen is about 30 weeks and just started laying last week (her pullet eggs are between a 4 and a 5 on the maran color chart that I got in the mail today
hmm.png
Not terrible but I'd hoped for darker) the rooster is about 4 or 5 weeks younger.

That egg to me, looks like a solid #5. Yes, would breed those two and you will hopefully get some with a nice happy medium of copper. The hen looks to have dark eyes? Maybe just the pic, but if he has dark eyes too, you will get most if not all, dark eyed chicks. Eye color is one of my main pet peeves, while others will let it slide. Test mate them and see what you get; you can always eat your mistakes with chickens!

OK so I am right that their coloring should be more matching? Are they both off then or is the hen's color the right shade?

Yes I do have some faults, the rooster was an iffy when young but has grown quite handsome, with very nice orangey red eyes. NO brown on him anywhere and a good dark chest. My only issue with him is his legs are not as heavily feathered as I would like, but the hen is quite well feathered. She I am not so pleased with as she has grown up, her eyes are very dark as you can see, also she has just a hint of mossiness on a few wing feathers. I did not know the dark eyes would be dominant. But I think I will have to keep her for this next season.

To add to my flock I have two hens still in quarantine that I just bought, I am quite happy with one but the other I will keep until my babies grow up and then probably sell as a layer, she has funky eyes- they are like two toned one side of her iris is orange the other side is brown! Have you seen that before? I will try to catch her and get a picture. They are both quite wild and want nothing to do with handling. I also have two pair about 6 weeks old that I just adore, the little cockerel Skillet follows me around like I'm his momma. I also have a big batch in the incubator from someone local, of which I am only going to keep the ones that hatch out of the darkest 6 or 7 eggs. I hope with all of this I should finally have selection to get a decent flock with good features.

Here's some closer views of the pair:

I think you have a good chance of getting some nice chicks from these two. Just cull out the ones with the dark eyes and then breed the daughters with the correct colored eyes and heavier feathered shanks back to dad or another nice male with traits that you like.

Last edited:
The color on the male is what is referred to as Mahogany and I have used these males. The female has the proper color of Copper Hackle. I would pay close attention to the ear lobe color though.

Lonnyandrinda:

Just one person's opinion here:

I would use a more correct female in both type and color... The eyes are not acceptable if you are trying to breed forward to standard... She is less than a substantial bird for substance and she carries not enough melaniser in the chest to make good males. You may see female that look ok from this crop but it would be difficult to breed forward witht he pair. The sickle tail on the male is a less desireable trait, however he looks acceptable in general. You will likely not produce better than him in male offspring. I cannot see the females comb from these but it is really important on the females as they have a lot to say for the future offspring.
big_smile.png

Lonnyandrinda:

Just one person's opinion here:

I would use a more correct female in both type and color... The eyes are not acceptable if you are trying to breed forward to standard... She is less than a substantial bird for substance and she carries not enough melaniser in the chest to make good males. You may see female that look ok from this crop but it would be difficult to breed forward witht he pair. The sickle tail on the male is a less desireable trait, however he looks acceptable in general. You will likely not produce better than him in male offspring. I cannot see the females comb from these but it is really important on the females as they have a lot to say for the future offspring.
big_smile.png
GEEBSIE!
hugs.gif

Weird meeting ya all here!!! LOL.... Must be winter setting in.... More computer time!!! yay!! I have a few cooking.. I will post pix later.

Back
Top Bottom