Black Mute pheasants? Some questions...

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Hey there! My husband went a little crazy at an auction Sunday and bought me some black mute? pheasant eggs. I question the breed because he bought some kuku meraine (cuckoo maran) eggs that were from the same person. Anywho - I have successfully hatched plenty of chickens but know NOTHING about pheasants besides they are purty. I do adore the olive color of the eggs
smile.png
From what I've read they take 23-24 days to hatch at the same temp as chicken eggs.

Anything else you can tell me? They were fresh eggs and I put them in the incubator Monday night. I will be researching some more on brooding etc. in the next couple of weeks.

Black Mute? Never Heard Of It... There Are Melanistic Mutant Ringnecks Which Is Probably What You Have.. Can You Post Pics Of The Birds? If So We Can Identify Them That Way

They are still just eggs
smile.png
Little army green eggs...

That's why I put the disclaimer in about what they were called - the same person had labeled their cuckoo maran eggs kuku meraines.

I put a request in at the library for the ONLY book they have about raising pheasants and game birds. Should have it in a couple of days.

Well so far 12/12 are developing. I thought with their olive color they would be hard to candle like olive chicken eggs - but they are surprisingly "see-through". After looking at the various breeds - I am going to guess they are the melanistic black.

Quote:
Thanks for the picture! We went to a different auction this weekend and they had live ringneck chicks all crowded in a box and 3 of them were already dead. I am glad I am starting with eggs...

I can't believe how fast time has gone - the eggs are due to hatch around the 4th. Only 4 more days! All of them still look good too!!

Hubby has the next 4 days to build me a "flight proof" brooder. Righ now I just use a rubbermaid tote for chicks. Would work for a day or so for these guys but I told him I want something BETTER!

Back
Top Bottom