Black To White Experiment

I may not be hatching from these guys this year, since I've got Long in the coop with them, & he's been breeding the hens. I've got black Malays that I wanna breed to these, that also carry this trait, so will do so next year.
#1.
20240413_114904.jpg
20240413_114836.jpg
20240413_114816.jpg
#2.
20240413_114412.jpg
20240413_114456.jpg

I switched everybody over on to chick feed, cuz of money problems. Chick feed is cheaper then the other feed I was feeding originally for some reason.
Be careful with chick feed. The lack of calcium can be an issue for layers. Adults with intact feathers won't need the high amount of protein. I would look into grower feed with a lower amount of protein and supplement with calcium. My hens eat layer feed, and I still supplement with microwaved crushed egg shells. They don't eat each others eggs either (caused from low calcium or stress). It might be worthwhile to look at Youtube videos on making your own chicken feed. I have considered it as self sustainable option.

Be careful with chick feed. The lack of calcium can be an issue for layers. Adults with intact feathers won't need the high amount of protein. I would look into grower feed with a lower amount of protein and supplement with calcium. My hens eat layer feed, and I still supplement with microwaved crushed egg shells. They don't eat each others eggs either (caused from low calcium or stress). It might be worthwhile to look at Youtube videos on making your own chicken feed. I have considered it as self sustainable option.
I give oyster shells to the ladies in a separate feeder.
20% protein is perfectly fine. They were on 20% All Flock, or Flock Raiser feed, which is pretty much the same.

Eggs taste no different.

Back
Top Bottom