Blood in eggs

T.Pierre5

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2018
Caribbean
Good day everyone.
I live in the Caribbean. There are 2 seasons-rain and sun. However atm we are experiencing a heat wave and I have noticed a few things about my 400 layers + cocks.
1. We dont keep our eggs for no more than 1 day before they are sold. However, 2 customers have complained about blood in the eggs and 1 have also said the egg had blood and was smelling. What can be causing that?
2. The size of the eggs have decreased tremendously
3. Production has also dropped from 8 crates a day to 4 crates
They have access to lots of food and water. Would love to know about any reasons as to why this is happening.
Thanking you in advance for any help.

The blood in the egg is most likely from a burst blood vessel. It happens. It's harmless, though off-putting if you're cracking one into a hot skillet. If this happens to just two customers who get one egg each with blood over a period of many months, just offer them a free dozen to soothe their nerves. It's the way the egg rolls.

The size. Is this happening across the entire laying fleet? If so, I'd look at a nutritional issue. Or perhaps dehydration due to prolonged heat. If it's just a few layers here and there, they may be molting. Check for new feather growth under the worn feathers to confirm this.

The blood in the egg is most likely from a burst blood vessel. It happens. It's harmless, though off-putting if you're cracking one into a hot skillet. If this happens to just two customers who get one egg each with blood over a period of many months, just offer them a free dozen to soothe their nerves. It's the way the egg rolls.

The size. Is this happening across the entire laying fleet? If so, I'd look at a nutritional issue. Or perhaps dehydration due to prolonged heat. If it's just a few layers here and there, they may be molting. Check for new feather growth under the worn feathers to confirm this.
@agygous..the decrease in egg size is across the flock together with a decrease in production. What nutrition should I pay more attention to?

2x. Usually just a random problem in the vent, especially when stress (including stress from heat) happens.

Hey. The blood was seen only in our White leghorn eggs. I have asked the customers for pics. However one said it had streaks of bloody whilst the other said 'bloody egg'. I await pics
Leghorns are known for their vent issues and egg quality problems because they are bred to produce a lot of eggs, and their body cannot handle all of it. That is one reason they tend to die early. So yes, seeing blood in the egg of a Leghorn or other high egg production breed would be fairly common.

Hens laying smaller than their normal size eggs can be from stress or from under consumption of feed. You said that it's been hotter than usual so that would be a stress factor, and the heat might also cause the hens to eat less.

You don't say how these hens are kept. They should have access to cool, damp substrate to shed excess body heat during hot spells. Electrolytes added to their water during hot spells can help. If your hens are not free to mitigate the heat, their stress levels will continue to climb and egg laying may stop all together.

2x. Usually just a random problem in the vent, especially when stress (including stress from heat) happens.

Leghorns are known for their vent issues and egg quality problems because they are bred to produce a lot of eggs, and their body cannot handle all of it. That is one reason they tend to die early. So yes, seeing blood in the egg of a Leghorn or other high egg production breed would be fairly common.
Thanks so much

Hens laying smaller than their normal size eggs can be from stress or from under consumption of feed. You said that it's been hotter than usual so that would be a stress factor, and the heat might also cause the hens to eat less.

You don't say how these hens are kept. They should have access to cool, damp substrate to shed excess body heat during hot spells. Electrolytes added to their water during hot spells can help. If your hens are not free to mitigate the heat, their stress levels will continue to climb and egg laying may stop all together.
Thanks so much
They are kept on a farm. But i need to wrk on the electrolyte in the water and maybe a fan

Back
Top Bottom