Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Thanks for your input. That's what I thought.... The bottom one is the Partridge Wyandotte and I believe he is correct in his red for his variety but not for a BLR. Guess we will wait and see what the SOP says if they are accepted.

well, from what i've seen/heard of the 'unofficial' standard that will be proposed, they will be the dark mahogany red. as for the shade of blue, most other breeds requiring blue are a medium to dark blue. but seeing Foley's birds, I think he prefers the lighter blues... so that remains to be seen. I prefer the medium blues myself. not so dark that it looks black, not so pale as to appear splash or silver.

and since jerry Foley's spearheading the acceptance of the blrw, I would probably go with what he's breeding his birds towards (which I am).

well, from what i've seen/heard of the 'unofficial' standard that will be proposed, they will be the dark mahogany red. as for the shade of blue, most other breeds requiring blue are a medium to dark blue. but seeing Foley's birds, I think he prefers the lighter blues... so that remains to be seen. I prefer the medium blues myself. not so dark that it looks black, not so pale as to appear splash or silver.

and since jerry Foley's spearheading the acceptance of the blrw, I would probably go with what he's breeding his birds towards (which I am).
He has the proposed SOP draft in his BLR Ebook found on his website. All I have are BLR from him so guess I am breeding the right color
big_smile.png

On another thread someone said

If you breed a Red male to a SG female, all the male chicks will be Silver, the female chicks will be red.
This would also happen with other Silver-Red pairings: i.e. Silver-penciled-partridge (Golden penciled) Rocks and Wyandottes.

Does this mean if you bred a BLRW to a SLW you will get sex-linked chicks, or are there other genes at work in the laced birds?

On another thread someone said

If you breed a Red male to a SG female, all the male chicks will be Silver, the female chicks will be red.
This would also happen with other Silver-Red pairings: i.e. Silver-penciled-partridge (Golden penciled) Rocks and Wyandottes.

Does this mean if you bred a BLRW to a SLW you will get sex-linked chicks, or are there other genes at work in the laced birds?

silver is a sexlinked trait and she can only pass that to roos. so yes it would be sexlinked if pair correctly. you have to use a silver hen.

silver is a sexlinked trait and she can only pass that to roos. so yes it would be sexlinked if pair correctly. you have to use a silver hen.

Looking at the chicken genetics calculator this seems like it would be an easy way to keep the BLRW color while improving type, use a black BLRW roo over a SLW hen, then keep the hens with the best type. And bonus prize you can sex at hatch.

But it doesn't seem to be something people are doing, so what am I missing?

crossing silver and red can cause all kinds of problems. I don't know if you used them for reds. you CANT use them for silver that is for sure. my BLRW are bigger than my SILVERS. my whites are bigger than anything I have in wyandottes.

crossing silver and red can cause all kinds of problems. I don't know if you used them for reds. you CANT use them for silver that is for sure. my BLRW are bigger than my SILVERS. my whites are bigger than anything I have in wyandottes.

From what I'm reading it causes all sorts of issues in the silver color with bleeding from the red, so I could see that. Plus the SLW seem to have better type overall so I don't see any benefit to that color with this combination, it would strictly be a one way street with the benefits going to the BLRW birds. From reading various forums type seems to be more of an issue in BLRW, so I'm just curious if people are doing this combination, and if not, why not?

I'm also curious, do you know what makes the difference genetically between a splash BLRW with really pale blue lacing and one with white lacing? Is it just the Bl/Bl genes or are their other genes affecting the lacing color?

Just a bunch of random questions, I've had chickens for years but only recently been in a position to have a rooster so only now starting to study their genetics.

all my splash birds are white. if they were pale blue I would think they are blue. I don't know the difference between a slash laced red and a buff something....maybe the color of the red and they could be just white but visually they look the same to me.....maybe not the mahogany gene is missing in the buff laced ones.

all my splash birds are white. if they were pale blue I would think they are blue. I don't know the difference between a slash laced red and a buff something....maybe the color of the red and they could be just white but visually they look the same to me.....maybe not the mahogany gene is missing in the buff laced ones.

Thanks. I initially thought if they were a pale blue they were still considered Bl/bl+ but I see a lot of birds in this thread being labeled splash that have a blue tint to their lacing so ...

Back
Top Bottom