Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

if you're willing to hang onto him, evaluate him again around 8 months... a year would be ideal I think then you can see what he'll have. my own cockerels have changed a lot from 4-5 months to now at about 10 months. I need to get some good pics of both and have some critiques... CD is bigger and rounder than Shim, but CD has a split breast and a big divot in the middle of his comb, while Shim has a better comb and lacks the split breast... CD actually looks... lumpy almost at times. not sure if that's good or bad, but usually when his crop is full. LOL both have comparable color and profile (usually, but the pics didn't catch Shim in a good pose)

This is Shim last month, and CD is the second pic (same time frame.

basically, I'm trying to decide for or against line breeding the set of chicks I am growing out.
it would be a blue male on all 3 colors females, from the same genetic source -- OR introducing new genetics with my guy Donatello above. the question is, is he worthy. since I have other options available in the future. I have 3-5 blue males I am growing out from better genetics

if he is worth keeping, without screaming obvious faults (eg. his heart shape can't be overcome, or his tail is too narrow) then I will definitely keep him around.
I also have a person who is breeding blrw that would take him from me if I didn't want him (if I go with line breeding) so he will go to some use, somewhere.

your guy Shim looks much lower and rounder than donatello, he is more upright or heart shaped, I feel like it's the wrong shape but maybe in time he will grow into it..

Last edited:
ok here are the photos that I already have of the 2 boys...
the pics were taken at different times, from December feb and march. (and not always in that order LOL)

this is CD first...

and these are Shim...

Last edited:
your guy Shim looks much lower and rounder than donatello, he is more upright or heart shaped, I feel like it's the wrong shape but maybe in time he will grow into it..
yea that's not a great pic of him, but shows his rounded underside, but he was ducked down and running. which is why it's not a great pic... i'll try to get better pics over the weekend if I can. (from all the correct angles LOL)

Last edited:

I'm guessing this is a splash BLRW? This was 10 days ago and it's starting to get some red in its wing feathers. Still waiting for any sign of tail feathers. Are these slow to feather out? My other 3 non-wyandottes are already getting back and tail feathers and they should be approx the same age.

3 more just made it into lockdown today and after candling 2 are internal pipped and the other should be tomorrow.

I don't know if this is true for others but last year all my Wyandotte chicks I hatched that had fast growing tails were pullets. I'm going to keep record again this year and see if the same happens. It will be easier to sex them this way. Has this happened to any others here??

3 more just made it into lockdown today and after candling 2 are internal pipped and the other should be tomorrow. 

I don't know if this is true for others but last year all my Wyandotte chicks I hatched that had fast growing tails were pullets. I'm going to keep record again this year and see if the same happens. It will be easier to sex them this way. Has this happened to any others here?? 

Yes, I've noticed with all my Wyandotte , regardless of colour, that at 2-3 weeks the the cockerels have almost bare butts. Same with sussex.

OK, I have a BLRW splash roo that is right at a year old. I got him a month and half ago and last week hatched a couple of eggs he fathered. Some were not fertile though...and now none are fertile...and he doesn't seem to be interested in the ladies much.... What could be the problem? The girls seem to like him and follow him around.... Do I need soft music and candles or what?

Back
Top Bottom