Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Is that a straight comb I see?
hide.gif

Looks blue.

Quote: Sorry, Guess I need to single mate them and find out who is throwing straight combs. Guess I know what I will be doing the next few weeks
roll.png
Good thing I am don't hatching ANYTHING. What to cross them with? I have Marans and Barred Rocks and Leghorns. Any interesting crosses I can then sell?

Sorry, Guess I need to single mate them and find out who is throwing straight combs. Guess I know what I will be doing the next few weeks
roll.png
Good thing I am don't hatching ANYTHING. What to cross them with? I have Marans and Barred Rocks and Leghorns. Any interesting crosses I can then sell?

I was so excited I didn't even pick up on it at first. Hopefully its just one
fl.gif
. In about 6 months I was hoping to put a couple of these birds in with the two I just got from Foley for a breeding quad. Genetically are single combs recessive like blue eyes? Do both the male and female have to carry the recessive to get it?

Last edited:
hu.gif
I was told rose comb is dominate. You might be right.....

Found some info. If I'm reading this correctly this means that the RC Wyandotte roo would have a recessive as well as the RC Wyandotte pullet. It looks like the first improvement would be to try to get a good looking roo who is RR.

Originally Posted by poppycat
The offspring of the chicks will depend on whether their parents with rosecomb are homozygous or heterozygous

Homozygous means both copies of the gene are the same.
Heterozygous means that the bird has a copy of the gene for both rosecomb and single comb. The rosecomb trait is expressed, but the recessive single comb gene is still passed on.

Heres the first possible cross R=rosecomb gene, the dominant trait, s=single comb gene, the recessive trait
Rs x Rs (heterozygous birds with rosecombs)
25% of the offspring will be RR, homozygous rosecomb
50% of the offspring will be Rs, heterozygous rosecomb
25% of the offspring will be ss, homozygous single comb.

The next cross:
RR x Rs (both with rosecomb, 1 homozygous, 1 heterozygous)
50% of the offspring will be RR, homozygous rosecomb
50% of the offspring will be Rs, heterozygous rosecomb

The next cross:
RR x ss (both homozygous, one with a rosecomb, one with a single comb)
100% of the offspring will be Rs, heterozygous rosecomb

And last but not least;
Rs x ss (heterozygous rosecomb with homozygous single comb)
25% of the offspring will be Rs, heterozygous rosecomb
75% of the offspring will be ss, homozygous single comb.

Way too much information, I know.

Last edited:
I have the 2 broodies out of the pen and not laying. So that may help me find the hen. I am hatching from the other 2 hens so if it shows, I will know one of the hens carries it. BUT it makes me think that maybe why fertility is higher..... catch 22 maybe.

Thats a tough one. Personally I'd need more specific pointers on how to breed this out as ultimately we should be striving for both RR in the roo and in the pullet. I'm sure I'll be posting more pics of chicks in the morning.
big_smile.png

Thats a tough one. Personally I'd need more specific pointers on how to breed this out as ultimately we should be striving for both RR in the roo and in the pullet. I'm sure I'll be posting more pics of chicks in the morning.
big_smile.png
I would think breed them to a straight combed bird. If they have RR ALL the chicks should be rose combed if it is dominate. If you get any straight combs, I would then assume they are Rs. In theory you would get 50/50 rose/straight.

So I think you are right My roo is Rs and at least one hen is Rs. From that cross you could get RR, Rs and ss. I will test the hens and see. I will then test the other roo I have and see if he is Rs or RR. In ways he is a nicer roo... I like his color better anyway. Think maybe I will try a Marans pullet. It might be easier to sell a pretty dark egg layer
big_smile.png
or I could use them in my Olive Eggers
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom