Blue Plymouth Rock pullet or roo? 5-6 weeks old

Cockerel. He's a blue sex-link. The barring meant male long before the comb and wattles did.

Welcome to chickens!
It's a cockerel, and not a blue Plymouth
Blue Plymouth is another name for Sapphire Gem here.

It's sort of how a Pearl Star Leghorn is a mixed breed that doesn't even contain Leghorn.
I agree! Honestly I hate that they're called Blue Plymouth Rocks. Even Blue Rock or Andalusian Rock would be better because it's not the entire name of the breed. It's very frustrating that they have the same name as an actual very rare APA-accepted variety of a breed. People also have no clue that their birds aren't pure. I like to point people into using the Blue Sexlink terminology. :)

I agree! Honestly I hate that they're called Blue Plymouth Rocks. Even Blue Rock or Andalusian Rock would be better because it's not the entire name of the breed. It's very frustrating that they have the same name as an actual very rare APA-accepted variety of a breed. People also have no clue that their birds aren't pure. I like to point people into using the Blue Sexlink terminology. :)
Adding to my many MANY notes 📝

New chicken owner here! Please help me identify if this blue Plymouth chicken is a pullet or roo. Supposed to be a pullet! Age: between 5-6 weeks old. I’ve gotten mixed answers everywhere half say hen half say roo. This is a mix between blue Andalusian roo and barred rock hen. On one of the tail only photos, I saw two new looking white-ish/or lighter feathers formed. I feel like the comb and wattle are so red/pink. All my other breeds have almost no comb and they’re very pale compared to this one. Heard different breeds develop differently!View attachment 3474398
He or she is Beautiful and looks nice and healthy. 🙏💙🦅🇺🇸💙🙏

New chicken owner here! Please help me identify if this blue Plymouth chicken is a pullet or roo. Supposed to be a pullet! Age: between 5-6 weeks old. I’ve gotten mixed answers everywhere half say hen half say roo. This is a mix between blue Andalusian roo and barred rock hen. On one of the tail only photos, I saw two new looking white-ish/or lighter feathers formed. I feel like the comb and wattle are so red/pink. All my other breeds have almost no comb and they’re very pale compared to this one. Heard different breeds develop differently!View attachment 3474398
That's definitely a cockerel. Very pink comb and wattles. Just gorgeous!!

Back
Top Bottom