farmgrl7

Chirping
May 3, 2020
Wisconsin
I love having books and reference guides on hand for quick answers and reading material (book worm). I’d like to learn more about raising guinea’s, I have some eggs incubating, and I’d like to learn more besides pins and boards I’ve found on Pinterest. I’ve had hens in the past but they were adults and only having one rooster at the time they obsessively took him over and bullied my hens. I had to rehome them. I am starting from scratch this time. I’m thinking about this book but I’d like some suggestions if anyone has read or owns any better reference guides of raising them. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 65378863-F878-41AF-93C5-48DA6D9C8061.png
    65378863-F878-41AF-93C5-48DA6D9C8061.png
    685.4 KB · Views: 10
I love having books and reference guides on hand for quick answers and reading material (book worm). I’d like to learn more about raising guinea’s, I have some eggs incubating, and I’d like to learn more besides pins and boards I’ve found on Pinterest. I’ve had hens in the past but they were adults and only having one rooster at the time they obsessively took him over and bullied my hens. I had to rehome them. I am starting from scratch this time. I’m thinking about this book but I’d like some suggestions if anyone has read or owns any better reference guides of raising them. Thank you in advance!
Read the thread Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay particular attention to posts made by @PeepsCA .

I have not purchased many poultry books. Let us know if you like the book!

I have the one you refer to. It has good info in it. My issue was that I don't have different poultry, I have guineas. Period. I've not had them before, I'm a novice. I'm curious, I love researching, I want bits and facts and behaviors. This book includes guineas in the name, but when you're reading along, what I found was it wld say "in chickens..but in waterfowl...but in turkeys..." but no "but in guineas-". It's like the species was added to make the title longer, but then forgotten abt.
So you're kind of left deciding whether in this chapter, guineas = chickens or guineas = turkeys or guineas are nothing like the above. Not sure if that makes sense or not; all I can tell you is I've had to come back here and ask R2elk if I'm supposed to assume = chicken, = turkey or none of the above. Perhaps if I were more experienced I wld know the comparisons. I keep begging him to write a book, bc the only book I've seen truly abt guineas runs abt $200. 🙄

I have the one you refer to. It has good info in it. My issue was that I don't have different poultry, I have guineas. Period. I've not had them before, I'm a novice. I'm curious, I love researching, I want bits and facts and behaviors. This book includes guineas in the name, but when you're reading along, what I found was it wld say "in chickens..but in waterfowl...but in turkeys..." but no "but in guineas-". It's like the species was added to make the title longer, but then forgotten abt.
So you're kind of left deciding whether in this chapter, guineas = chickens or guineas = turkeys or guineas are nothing like the above. Not sure if that makes sense or not; all I can tell you is I've had to come back here and ask R2elk if I'm supposed to assume = chicken, = turkey or none of the above. Perhaps if I were more experienced I wld know the comparisons. I keep begging him to write a book, bc the only book I've seen truly abt guineas runs abt $200. 🙄
Guineas are guineas. Forget your your knowledge about how chickens behave when you think about how guineas behave. Turkeys have their own mannerisms.

I wonder if it is the bald head but guineas will bond very easily with turkeys. This is not necessarily a good thing for the turkeys.

Guineas are guineas. Forget your your knowledge about how chickens behave when you think about how guineas behave. Turkeys have their own mannerisms.

I wonder if it is the bald head but guineas will bond very easily with turkeys. This is not necessarily a good thing for the turkeys.
If I remember right, it's not necessarily a good thing for guineas. Somewhere along the way I read abt an illness common in turkeys that goons don't normally get, unless they get it from an infected turkey. That's as far as my memory goes, no plans to have turkeys.
But I hope what I wrote made sense. There were are few times
I'd come back from that book to ask you & you'd say exactly that, forget what you know abt. And I was :he bc I didn't know nuttin bout nuttin - and trying to learn so write the book already! Lol.

If I remember right, it's not necessarily a good thing for guineas. Somewhere along the way I read abt an illness common in turkeys that goons don't normally get, unless they get it from an infected turkey. That's as far as my memory goes, no plans to have turkeys.
But I hope what I wrote made sense. There were are few times
I'd come back from that book to ask you & you'd say exactly that, forget what you know abt. And I was :he bc I didn't know nuttin bout nuttin - and trying to learn so write the book already! Lol.
I don't know about a particular illness that turkeys can pass to guineas. I do know about an illness that chickens can act as an intermediate host and pass on to turkeys. It can be fatal to turkeys if not treated properly and immediately.

I have chickens, guineas and turkeys without any illness problems.

As I have said before, the BYC guinea forum is the best information source on guineas around. There are 133 pages of threads that you can research here where the successes and failures of real guinea owners are on full display. A book is fine if you are refinishing furniture or rebuilding an engine where there are absolutes that never change, guinea are in their own reality and as an owner I have had to learn to react and adapt to what my guineas do.
You say you are incubating eggs now, which means when your keets are normally moved from your brooder to a coop you are going to be bumping up against some pretty cold weather which is going to present its own problem. Guineas can be very rewarding and they can also be a PITA*, good luck.

The education department has a policy of giving access to online library to college students to improve their learning skills. It is important that 6 time management tips for a mom student to give time to the history books because, in this way, they can better manage their time to dedicate enough time for https://singlemomsincome.com/6-time-management-tips-for-a-mom-student/ and enhance knowledge. It's a better way to read books of your interest rather then buy from stores.

Back
Top Bottom