Broiler chicken fox attack safe to eat?

George1016

Hatching
Jun 29, 2020
I just processed 2 broiler chickens that survived a fox attack, one wing was broken and stripped of flesh exposing broken bone and the other had its entire beak bit off. Both were still lively, but I know they wouldn't have been comfortable. Are they safe to eat? They are chilling in my fridge right now. They both look fine and like normal processed chicken after cutting the wing off. The other was the head injury. What do you think?

I just processed 2 broiler chickens that survived a fox attack, one wing was broken and stripped of flesh exposing broken bone and the other had its entire beak bit off. Both were still lively, but I know they wouldn't have been comfortable. Are they safe to eat? They are chilling in my fridge right now. They both look fine and like normal processed chicken after cutting the wing off. The other was the head injury. What do you think?
:welcome :frow I probably wouldn't eat the one that had it's flesh ripped but the one with the broken beak I would. I don't eat the heads anyway. If the bird with the stripped flesh was the wing, I probably would since you cut the wing off and they are going to be cooked. Good luck...

I hope you wore gloves when handling these birds shortly after the attack, so no fresh fox saliva landed on your hands. That's the rabies risk, unless that fox was dead and tested for rabies.
Cooked meat isn't the issue, it's handling the birds while that saliva is possibly still a problem.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom