Broken leg with exposed bone

Kkeenan

Hatching
Mar 7, 2020
Hi all.
One of my chickens sustained a broken leg today. And her bone is exposed. It is broken at the hock joint 😔
I cleaned and disinfected it and wrapped it as best I could. Due to the location, it is VERY difficult to splint. My vet is out of town. But, she's alert, eating, and feisty so I want her to have a chance. Has anyone had any success healing a chicken with an injury such as this? The exposed bone is what worries me. Are there any OTC meds that I can purchase? Tips/suggestions welcome!

I had to put a chicken down who broke their leg that bad. When it's a compound fracture, I'm pretty sure it requires surgery. Antibiotics as well. Does your vet know another one who could see her?

Sorry that I just saw this thread. Can you post any pictures of the broken leg? Do you have something like betadine or chlorhexidene to disinfect the leg where the bone has pierced the skin? Bone infection is a big danger in compound fractures. A vet would be best. You can try to pull and realign the bones, and splint. Use soft padding (sterile gauze or telfa and betadine ointment underneath,) and popsicle sticks with vet wrap or tape can be used to splint the leg. Here is a good video of splinting and a splinting manual pages 20-23 to look at:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Sorry that I just saw this thread. Can you post any pictures of the broken leg? Do you have something like betadine or chlorhexidene to disinfect the leg where the bone has pierced the skin? Bone infection is a big danger in compound fractures. A vet would be best. You can try to pull and realign the bones, and splint. Use soft padding (sterile gauze or telfa and betadine ointment underneath,) and popsicle sticks with vet wrap or tape can be used to splint the leg. Here is a good video of splinting and a splinting manual pages 20-23 to look at:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
Hi.
Thank you for your response. Her break is at the hock joint, right in the bend. Super hard to splint. I do have clorhexidine, Vetricyn, and varios RX topical antibiotics. I flushed her leg twice with the clorhexidine. Packed it with topical antibiotics, sprayed with Vetricyn and wrapped with gauze and vet wrap. She is eating and drinking normally. Pooping like a champ and color is good! Two days post injury. My vet is out of town amd not a chicken vet, but would for me. No other vets treat chickens in my area.

Cull it.. best thing for you and the bird.Sometimes you need to do that.. the location makes a big difference.

Setting the bone without any meds to give.. the chicken will suffer.. if you have a compound fracture.. I am sure you would be in pain also. Plus infection will or already has set it.

So sorry. It might be best to send it off to a better place, and not suffer. My Hallow had a severe injury to her thigh and lived over a year before finally ending. She never laid again after the injury nor could use the leg to any extent, including getting to roost above ground level. She expired after one side wasted away.

Hi.
Thank you for your response. Her break is at the hock joint, right in the bend. Super hard to splint. I do have clorhexidine, Vetricyn, and varios RX topical antibiotics. I flushed her leg twice with the clorhexidine. Packed it with topical antibiotics, sprayed with Vetricyn and wrapped with gauze and vet wrap. She is eating and drinking normally. Pooping like a champ and color is good! Two days post injury. My vet is out of town amd not a chicken vet, but would for me. No other vets treat chickens in my area.
Hi there, I had one with an open fracture just above the hock joint and I treated it pretty much the same as you, minus the Vetricyn. Let me see if I can find a picture of how I splinted it.

Edited to add:
Here is how I splinted it:

leg-splint_1-jpg.1866320

Back
Top Bottom