Broken leg with exposed bone

Hi there, I had one with an open fracture just above the hock joint and I treated it pretty much the same as you, minus the Vetricyn. Let me see if I can find a picture of how I splinted it.

Edited to add:
Here is how I splinted it:

leg-splint_1-jpg.1866320
Thank you! This is interesting! I did not splint this way, but I can resplint. I am trying NOT to handle her leg more than is necessary.

I wou
I have Fish Mox, which I have never used, but know a lot of people have. I certainly won't let her suffer, but if she's gonna try, I will as well.
I would too. They say chickens hide their pain well being prey animals. BUT I’m my experience, if they’re that bad that they’re really suffering, they stop eating, comb goes white and they just stand or lay there. When I’ve had injured birds who continue to fight, they always seem to come back with some special care.
Also, I have personally had 11 broken bones on my 45 years and can honestly say none of them really hurt. Not bad anyway. Not when they happened. The arthritis from it now hurts more than the breaks. This does include some compound breaks and a broken hip... in three places. Hope that helps. I’ddo the wrap the way the other poster suggested and hope for the best. I’d give some diced hard boiled egg for extra protein and I’d be sure to keep her warm. I know shock can make them cold. So that’s real important- which may mean a heat lamp or bringing her in depending on where you live.

I wou

I would too. They say chickens hide their pain well being prey animals. BUT I’m my experience, if they’re that bad that they’re really suffering, they stop eating, comb goes white and they just stand or lay there. When I’ve had injured birds who continue to fight, they always seem to come back with some special care.
Also, I have personally had 11 broken bones on my 45 years and can honestly say none of them really hurt. Not bad anyway. Not when they happened. The arthritis from it now hurts more than the breaks. This does include some compound breaks and a broken hip... in three places. Hope that helps. I’ddo the wrap the way the other poster suggested and hope for the best. I’d give some diced hard boiled egg for extra protein and I’d be sure to keep her warm. I know shock can make them cold. So that’s real important- which may mean a heat lamp or bringing her in depending on where you live.
Thank you! She is definitely not feeling any ill effects to her thirst or appetite. She is eating everything I give her. Even her abx slurry. And she's given me two eggs in the process! I have made aspirin water for her as well to hopefully take the edge off. She is chilling in a kennel in my laundry room or on the couch in the evening while I clean and refresh her kennel .

Attachments

• 20200310_205556.jpg
    20200310_205556.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom