Brooder Space for Baby Chicks

Hi guys,

I'm going to raise 100 baby chicks in April and I plan to put them in brooders with heat lamps for two months. I need to figure out the size of the brooders. I searched online but couldn't find an exact answer. Can anybody let me know how many square feet a baby chick need for the first 8 weeks? Thanks!

ThatS a lot of chicks brooding that long, I have only experienced brooding 28 chick in a 4’x10’ but for only 4-6 wks. Even with that size of brooder it can get tight too fast since they grow quick, I would transfer them to a bigger outside pen or tractor type as soon as they feathers, 5-10 sq ft per chicken better yet semi free range. For chicks health reason bigger is better, they will generate a lot of droppings in a confined area in such a short time. I know on mine, I top the beddings every day and thoroughly clean up once a weeek when I was brooding the 28.

Can you tell us more about the space you’ll be using for the brooder? In your house or garage? Generally little chicks need 0.5sgft/chick at first, then 2sqft/bird until they are 6-8 weeks and move to the coop.

Once they are in a typical set up then it is 4sqft per bird in the coop, and 10 sqft in the run. These spacing guidelines help to prevent issues among members of the flock...they can live in relative harmony with more space.

So, what are your plan for 100 chicks? Eggs? Meat?

Good luck.

Can you tell us more about the space you’ll be using for the brooder? In your house or garage? Generally little chicks need 0.5sgft/chick at first, then 2sqft/bird until they are 6-8 weeks and move to the coop.

Once they are in a typical set up then it is 4sqft per bird in the coop, and 10 sqft in the run. These spacing guidelines help to prevent issues among members of the flock...they can live in relative harmony with more space.

So, what are your plan for 100 chicks? Eggs? Meat?

Good luck.

They're layers. The brooder will be in my garage. I've got plenty of room. It's cold around my area. It will depend on the weather to keep them in brooders for 1.5 months or 2 months. Is 0.5sgft/chick for the first two months?

They're layers. The brooder will be in my garage. I've got plenty of room. It's cold around my area. It will depend on the weather to keep them in brooders for 1.5 months or 2 months. Is 0.5sgft/chick for the first two months?
Do you currently have chickens?
Do you have your coop(s) ready for them?
Photos?

Sorry, but I would plan on at least 1-2sq ft of space for each bird in a brooder/grow out area. A general rule for backyard chickens is 4sq ft of coop space per bird for large fowl and 10sq ft run space for each bird.

Chicks grow quickly, so you need to plan for extra room, you may find that not all get along and you will need to separate them even more quickly before you can get them outside.

I give mine 2 sq ft per chick from the start but that's a small group in a smaller brooder. With a large group like this you're best off doing smaller groups (maybe 4 groups of 25?) so they're less likely to pile up and trample each other, and then maybe gradually increasing the space they get as they grow, so you don't have little chicks getting lost in a corner away from heat or food.

1/2 sq ft per bird is ok at the start. By 8 weeks old they really should have at least 2 sq ft per bird.

Back
Top Bottom