Broody Plucking Chicks

that doesn't actually specify the grains, only the average supposed protein level.
Are you using the word 'grain' to mean 'feed'?
Oh, sorry for the confusion. Yes. I always use the term 'grain' instead of 'feed' even though it is feed. This is the brand of grain I give my birds: https://www.poulingrain.com/products?a=poultry&species=55
If you scroll down on that, you can click on the exact feeds I'm giving them. My layers get the Layer Pellets and my chicks are currently eating the Poultry Grower/Finisher.

What does showing have to do with roosting? They are much cleaner when the roost and their droppings fall away from them. Why don’t you want them roosting? I am glad they are roosting, I always thought it a good thing, what am I missing?
Roosting too young damages something in their chests or hurts some type of bone growth or the keel bone, which is something a judge will be able to tell when examining the bird. I originally read in one of my Storey chicken books years ago and I can't remember which one I read it in. I had looked it up again back before this AI came with the searches, and now I can't find an exact online source to show you.
Though I don't show, I know the damage is still visible so I don't want to chance my birds having issues. When they are older, I do like to have them on a perch as it does change the way their feet and legs are in comparison to a hen who has never perched for the better. Plus I like to keep things as natural as possible and prefer them high off the ground at night.

Oh, sorry for the confusion. Yes. I always use the term 'grain' instead of 'feed' even though it is feed. This is the brand of grain I give my birds: https://www.poulingrain.com/products?a=poultry&species=55
If you scroll down on that, you can click on the exact feeds I'm giving them. My layers get the Layer Pellets and my chicks are currently eating the Poultry Grower/Finisher.
OK; that is confusing. That feed's mostly corn, with protein coming mostly from soy and a little from wheat middlings then.

Feathers are about 95% protein, so if the birds are sensing and trying to meet some form of protein deficiency by feather eating, it is more likely to be met through an animal protein source than a plant protein source. Why not try giving the broody and her chicks some meat or fish (as a one-off; I appreciate cost is an issue here) - table scraps (which are free if they're allowed where you are), or high percentage meat or fish wet cat food (a lot of dog food is grain based these days; cats are stubborn carnivores), or a tin of sardines or suchlike - and see if it makes a difference to the feather plucking behaviour?

OK; that is confusing. That feed's mostly corn, with protein coming mostly from soy and a little from wheat middlings then.

Feathers are about 95% protein, so if the birds are sensing and trying to meet some form of protein deficiency by feather eating, it is more likely to be met through an animal protein source than a plant protein source. Why not try giving the broody and her chicks some meat or fish (as a one-off; I appreciate cost is an issue here) - table scraps (which are free if they're allowed where you are), or high percentage meat or fish wet cat food (a lot of dog food is grain based these days; cats are stubborn carnivores), or a tin of sardines or suchlike - and see if it makes a difference to the feather plucking behaviour?
Would tuna or cow heart be good? I have a heart in my freezer, but I was planning on feeding that to my flock come winter. I might be able to get some tuna for them. Any scraps that they could eat has been fed to the stray cats lately.

Back
Top Bottom