*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Thanks for your help. I put a stuffed penguin in her crate with a bunch of feathers from my older chicks (made my own feather duster of sorts). I also put in a mirror that came with my toddlers tummy time mat. She was cheeping a lot. When I went back to check on her at night, she was snuggling with the penguin, so we decided to call her Gloria from Happy Feet.

I do have grit so I will add that to her food tomorrow. What treats do you recommend? I offered her oatmeal, grass and grapes and she wanted nothing to do with them. I know my girls go nuts over both, especially grapes. I will try again today. Maybe I will try some egg. My hubby has a shop radio and so I will put that on NPR today. I plan to put on some Neosporin on her back today and check her for bugs. I will keep you all posted on her progress.

Quote:
@gbartha the thought of her snuggling with a stuffed penguin sound so adorable.
love.gif

Just sprinkle a little grit in the cage or put it in a separate container - it doesn't need to be mixed with the food - she will take what she needs.

As for treats @MesMama suggests meal worms-great idea
smile.png
I've never used them, I don't want to fork out the $$$
hide.gif
but meal worms are a very good treat (protein too).

You may have try different things. Once she is integrated with the other chicks she will most likely learn to like what they do (flock mentality). Since she is a lone girl, she not be quite sure what it is. A hard boiled egg may be good, you mention oatmeal, mine love that still.

Let us know how it goes.

I had a solo pullet that everyone picked on, and so lived on her own for quite some time. I found she bonded to me and began to act more person-ish than chicken-ish. Eventually I got her a special needs Orpington chick to buddy with, and now they are inseparable.
The singletons become your favorites very quickly.

I had a solo pullet that everyone picked on, and so lived on her own for quite some time. I found she bonded to me and began to act more person-ish than chicken-ish. Eventually I got her a special needs Orpington chick to buddy with, and now they are inseparable.
The singletons become your favorites very quickly.
I took Gloria out of her crate and she let me put the coconut oil on her tail. As soon as I started petting her head and back, it sounded like she was purring and she closed her eyes. I couldn't believe it. She was floppy when I put her back. She really does love her penguin "friend" and will run to him when I open the crate. Egg was a no-go, nor was any other treat. I may get some meal worms if I can find them a bit cheaper. One bag was $15!

I took Gloria out of her crate and she let me put the coconut oil on her tail. As soon as I started petting her head and back, it sounded like she was purring and she closed her eyes. I couldn't believe it. She was floppy when I put her back. She really does love her penguin "friend" and will run to him when I open the crate. Egg was a no-go, nor was any other treat. I may get some meal worms if I can find them a bit cheaper. One bag was $15!

Awe, what a sweetie. She just wants to be loved. I really hope she heals up and becomes a part of your flock w/ out further issues. Yes, dried meal worms are expensive but they will last as long as it takes you to feed it to her. My hens love them. I'm dolling them out more now that I have babies getting their adult feathers and big hens who are all molting.

love.gif
Hi Gloria! She is a cutie!

Yes, they do purr as chicks. If you haven't already you are going to just fall in love with her and she is going to be your buddy for life.
She doesn't look as frightened as she was.

Last edited:

Sounds like she has all the makings of a people chicken! Is that a reptile heating pad I spy under the shavings? They are wonderful handy things to have.

Sounds like she has all the makings of a people chicken! Is that a reptile heating pad I spy under the shavings? They are wonderful handy things to have.
Oh I wish! No its the bottom of the crate. It has been hot here so no heater needed. I do have an ecobrooder that I can whip out if we have some cool temps at night.

**UPDATE** I was contacted today from the breeder asking about the well being of Gloria. I informed her of the missing feathers and scabs and basically how I was very upset about the whole situation. She said my roo was beautiful and in great condition and she offered to send a refund of what a 6 week bird would cost as a consultation. Whether it was out of guilt or she read my review on google, I just hope that in the future, she will keep better care of her birds. I still will not do future business with her farm.

Last edited:
Oh I wish! No its the bottom of the crate. It has been hot here so no heater needed. I do have an ecobrooder that I can whip out if we have some cool temps at night.

**UPDATE** I was contacted today from the breeder asking about the well being of Gloria. I informed her of the missing feathers and scabs and basically how I was very upset about the whole situation. She said my roo was beautiful and in great condition and she offered to send a refund of what a 6 week bird would cost as a consultation. Whether it was out of guilt or she read my review on google, I just hope that in the future, she will keep better care of her birds. I still will not do future business with her farm.

She looks too big to need heat anyway. I do have a handful of reptile pads kicking around that come in handy in all sorts of circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom