*Buff Orpington Thread!*

I have to brag about my BO here - a week ago she was attacked by a hawk - I thought she lost her eye, there was so much blood. But she didn't - just a big cut - and it has almost healed all the way. She survived a dog attack last summer too!! She has 9 lives! She flew up on my back today and I took this pic
smile.png

aww glad she is ok...my Buffie hen does the same thing

I'll be selling fertile BO hatching eggs in a few weeks, anybody interested? I have incubated a dozen of these before, 100% fertility and all but one hatched. The last one was DIS for some reason.

I'm pretty bummed....my beautiful boy, Skipper, lost the spikes on his comb to frostbite earlier in the winter (I was putting vaseline on it, but there was a ridiculous sudden cold snap that I guess was too much). He doesn't seem to mind, though, since it's gotten him a world of extra attention. My poor, sweet boy
1f62d.png

I'm pretty bummed....my beautiful boy, Skipper, lost the spikes on his comb to frostbite earlier in the winter (I was putting vaseline on it, but there was a ridiculous sudden cold snap that I guess was too much). He doesn't seem to mind, though, since it's gotten him a world of extra attention. My poor, sweet boy
1f62d.png

I'm sorry to hear he lost his spikes. Frostbite has a way of dubbing a comb for sure and there's really not anything you can do about it, except watch to make sure severe lesions don't become infected. Most of the time, the comb heals nicely (less spikes).

They do seem to like extra attention
smile.png
Mine thinks if I catch him up for inspection he will get scrambled/hard boiled eggs or some sunflower seeds(wonder why
tongue.png
). I usually try to have some for him - he takes being handled much better than most of my hens - I think it's because he is so vain.

Last edited:
Unfortunately that's what happens in colder climates.

Both of my roosters have been dubbed by nature. They are both great roosters anyways.

Oh for sure. He's still gorgeous (in our opinion lol) and he's still pretty much an angel in bird skin lol. He got to chat with my mom over the phone yesterday and he was pretty excited about it. He loves interrupting my conversations. Hopped right up on my lap, got up against the phone, and chatted away. I about died laughing.

I'm sorry to hear he lost his spikes.  Frostbite has a way of dubbing a comb for sure and there's really not anything you can do about it, except watch to make sure severe lesions don't become infected.  Most of the time, the comb heals nicely (less spikes). 

They do seem to like extra attention:)   Mine thinks if I catch him up for inspection he will get scrambled/hard boiled eggs or some sunflower seeds(wonder why:p ).  I usually try to have some for him - he takes being handled much better than most of my hens - I think it's because he is so vain.
Mine is the same way. He loves being fussed over. We do have one hen that's friendlier than him, but only because she follows my every step lol. He's calmer being held (by me), though.

I'm starting a flock of 6 and I'm considering what breed(s) to start with. I might have a mix of a few different breeds, but I need help choosing them. Will buff orpingtons get picked on by other chickens/breeds?

Back
Top Bottom