BYC members in Massachusetts?

I heard the six chick minimum was to keep people from buying one chick for an Easter present only to have it quickly die from lack of proper care. I guess they figured if you have a six chick investment you might take better care of them.

Country George, I think you hit on why the law was created: to be sure dedicated owners were buying chicks with a long term commitment.

Given the 3 chick and 6 chick requirements perhaps trying to get towns to change the hen limit is worth the headache. I am fortunate that I have enough property to have several birds, but would definitely love to see more towns open to families having hens , and for some towns, MORE hens. A bakers dozen is reasonable; need some to give the neighbors!!

I'm not sure where in Ma you are located, but I have 2 easter eggers and a white cochin for sale. The EE are 3 weeks old and the cochin is 2. they are all from Meyers hatchery, sexed as girls. We were lucky to have a very healthy bunch and did not have any losses, so I have to sell a few to keep from overcrowding the coop. I have an ad up on Craigslist if you want to see pictures.

I'm in Wenham on the North Shore. Here is a link to the ad, the photos were taken 1 week ago so they are a little bit larger now. http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/grd/4967979743.html I have a speckled sussex who I suspect might be a boy (the hatchery has A 90% success rate with gender) that I would also consider selling if someone is taking all 3 and wants a 4th. I suspect she might be a he becuase I thought I saw boy parts while caring for her pasty butt her first few days and now she has been feathering out at about half the speed of the rest.

If anyone is interested please let me know!

Back
Top Bottom