California - Northern

Since my two new girls are black/brown and red/golden they have been dubbed Ginger and Mary Ann and one of them gave us a pretty little blue egg today...not much green in it at all...on my way to the photo worthy egg basket!
big_smile.png

It occurred to me I could possibly link my CL ad?

http://modesto.craigslist.org/grd/4130164882.html

You could't find many more green chicken people than us. These chickens are the product of that ignorance. We bought them from McMurray. I didn't know that back yard breeders had better products. I had no idea the difference. I still don't know how to eyeball standard of perfection. I couldn't tell you if these birds are good Partridge Rocks or not. I do know that there are two hens and two roosters. The hens will lay eggs. The roosters will crow. Okay, so I might know more than that, but not much =D

Unfortunately a cockerel was injured today. He is walking funny. I'm not sure how he did it but it had something to do with running under the hen house where he didn't belong. It's only about 5" off the ground, the rabbit lives under there. He was trespassing. Anyway, he's gimpy now. Whether or not it lasts I don't know. Because of this I'd give him to someone who wanted the two hens and other cockerel. He can always be processed after he finishes filling out. We didn't order as many cockerels as we got. We also have a Golden Laced Wyandotte pair to go on market soon.

Our birds are not show quality because of where we purchased them. They are however, healthy (if clumsy) and will make great back yard birds for egg laying and meat production. I'm impressed with how pretty the cockerels are feathering out. I have them listed (pre-egg laying age) for $25 a pair. If someone wants them all, I'd take $40 due to the one being injured. Once the girls are laying eggs, I will raise the price.

Aside from the CL pictures,
A hen, in late evening light. Some light hitting her funny, (through the weeds) she doesn't have any blond spots.

The smaller of the two cockerels. The other one is just so busy!

The other cockerel is significantly bigger. I just couldn't find him.
Thank you Ron - will find the classifieds section.
Rebecca

CackleJoy - if you can put him in an area where he won't be using his leg (no roosting especially) for a week or so, he may heal. Most of mine I've been able to heal this way. One I could not, because he broke his leg and was bleeding internally - which I didn't know until we put him down and I plucked him.

Welcome! Anyone with feathers stuck to their shoes is welcome here. Wonderful people, great advice and some terrific breeds are found here.
LOL!!!! I so qualify then! My adult daughter is so freaked out about my chickens and the presents that they leave me (both eggs and piles) that I have to have special poop shoes for my grandkids! I was thrilled to pick up a pair of clearance Crocs for each of them at Target this fall. They are easy to put on and easy to clean off!

LOL!!!!  I so qualify then!  My adult daughter is so freaked out about my chickens and the presents that they leave me (both eggs and piles) that I have to have special poop shoes for my grandkids!  I was thrilled to pick up a pair of clearance Crocs for each of them at Target this fall.  They are easy to put on and easy to clean off!
My SIL sounds like your daughter. I thought about getting Crocs or something like them but with narrow feet I just walk out of them. I prefer mucky shoes to barefoot. I have never been a "barefoot" person, I feel every pebble. I just take the hose to my shoes before coming in if they are nasty. I just accept that with 3 people and 3 dogs there is going to be footprints and dust. I have a small sign in the entryway, Welcome to our house. You can touch the dust just don't write in it!

Here is Ginger I haven't wanted to freak them out too much so have left them alone for the most part. This weekend there will be "Be my Friend" time. Both of them were easy to catch initially so I hope that goes well. Pretty sure Ginger is the egg layer from yesterday. She is pretty pink.

And here is Mary Anne

Tom is now calling their rooster "The Skipper" so I guess their coop is "Gilligan's Island"
Miss Mary Anne doesn't have much of a rump. Hoping that means a bluer egg.
lol.png

Both of these girls originally came from Mt Healthy. They came from a friend who buys and resells hatchery birds locally. Why do I feel like I have to apologize for that? I am hoping that at some point I can convert her. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom