California - Northern

I wouldn't call 9, possibly 13 out of 30 eggs a good hatch. But I am happy
big_smile.png

The egg in question was marked as a porcelain. What colors were used to create the porcelain color? I thought it was lavender and buff?

Here is a picture of the chick in question. Look at those chipmunk stripes. Love its color!

Here is the whole gang~

Chick shoes for the blue and lavender. Curled toe on one foot.
They look very nice! I like the color and the little poofy hats they have.

big_smile.png

The egg in question was marked as a porcelain. What colors were used to create the porcelain color? I thought it was lavender and buff?

Here is a picture of the chick in question. Look at those chipmunk stripes. Love its color!

Here is the whole gang~

Awww they are sooooo cute!!!! I would like a silkie again, but then again, I don't think I have met a chicken I didn't want. Yeah, 9 out of 30 isn't so great. I thought it was 9 out of 13. But still in some cases with shipped eggs 9 is good!
@PetRock I'm kind of fanatical about only using non toxic products as much as possible. I use this resource as a guide http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ That site is pro vegan and I'm not, so I keep that in mind when reading their info. I did find a less expensive, fragrance free zinc sunscreen - Coppertone now makes a Sensitive Skin line of products that are zinc based and available at most stores. It does make your skin whitish, so I use it at home when working around the ranch. When I have to go out and don't want the ghost look, I've made my own sunscreen lotion & non toxic mineral make up made from ordering the basic non toxic ingredients for less money than buying the finished products.

Sorry for the off topic, but wanted you to know that you can find those products for less money.
What?!?!? You made your own? Would you be willing to share the recipe? You can IM me if you are uncomfortable sharing it on the forum. I like off topic. Off topic can be good........ sometimes.

Keep watching the ones in those two pens for a while. Fixing the roost will help with a lot of problems. Big chickens really do need the support of a flat 2x4, not on the edge 2x4. Orps are not supposed to jump more than 18".
Yeah tell that to Fatty Patty and Big Bertha. They like to jump.

@PetRock I'm kind of fanatical about only using non toxic products as much as possible. I use this resource as a guide http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ That site is pro vegan and I'm not, so I keep that in mind when reading their info. I did find a less expensive, fragrance free zinc sunscreen - Coppertone now makes a Sensitive Skin line of products that are zinc based and available at most stores. It does make your skin whitish, so I use it at home when working around the ranch. When I have to go out and don't want the ghost look, I've made my own sunscreen lotion & non toxic mineral make up made from ordering the basic non toxic ingredients for less money than buying the finished products.

Sorry for the off topic, but wanted you to know that you can find those products for less money.

not sure about the cost (my sister's a beauty editor & sends me beauty-related products for free, so i never know what anything costs), but i used this non-chemical, envt'ly-friendly sunscreen while out sailing (out in the sun ALL day, and i have absurdly pale skin -- got to love that scottish heritage), and absolutely love it:
http://smartgirlswhosurf.com/

Ok so my Orpington that was in the nest box wasn't in there to lay an egg she was in there cuz she had bumble foot! I did the surgery and one other orp had it too. Then I checked everyone else and nobody but my marans/olive egger pen had it.

Why only those 2 pens? What am I doing wrong with them?
I would look around the pen to see if they are getting poked on something.

big_smile.png

Here is the whole gang~

How adorable!!! I can hardly wait for mine to hatch! Hatch day is Sat but my Bresse have been hatching a day early. I am watching for pips already!

Thank you!!! Off to check out that site!
smile.png

What?!?!? You made your own? Would you be willing to share the recipe? You can IM me if you are uncomfortable sharing it on the forum. I like off topic. Off topic can be good........ sometimes.
Ditto! I would like that info, too! It is nice to be able to share all things chicken plus the life stuff that happens around the chickens!

not sure about the cost (my sister's a beauty editor & sends me beauty-related products for free, so i never know what anything costs), but i used this non-chemical, envt'ly-friendly sunscreen while out sailing (out in the sun ALL day, and i have absurdly pale skin -- got to love that scottish heritage), and absolutely love it:
http://smartgirlswhosurf.com/
That looks like a good one. It doesn't have any of the chemical sunscreen products so that's good. I wish that it had a higher SPF than 30 but I might give it a try. SPF 30 along with UPF 50 clothing should protect me!

That looks like a good one. It doesn't have any of the chemical sunscreen products so that's good. I wish that it had a higher SPF than 30 but I might give it a try. SPF 30 along with UPF 50 clothing should protect me!

when i was using it sailing (i've run out, might need to buy more), i'd reapply once during the race, and never had any sunburn at all -- and i'm the kind of person who starts burning in about 10 minutes if i'm out without sunscreen. so even that 30SPF is pretty powerful stuff. and it smells nice. (not perfume-y, but not stinky either -- just like a nice soap.)

Back
Top Bottom