Yah! Hope I helped! LOL!
Yes...you did!!!
clap.gif

Quote: That's a lot of posts!

FINALLY - muscovy duckling pics...

Parker's in love with them too
I don't blame him...are soooo adorable!

'

Well, the look on his face says it all - he is VERY full of himself & tries to rule everyone (birds, not people though).
I have not seen him challenge Jean-Luc but I think it's in the works...

He's watching you, little man...

Great shot! He looks like a Bald Eagle in chicken clothing...

ive already called them,stopped by and everything, the post master says there is NO reason they shouldnt have had them on the truck this morning
Hope they make it safely in the morning...

Quote:

Awww so sweet that they are hiding nests. They will surprise you with their children : ) Chiqita, are they able to fend off hawks and falcons? If so, they would be perfect for my back property where I am not able to allow my chickens to range due to birds of prey. My pair has been living with the chickens.

Lual

Would someone point me to hatching guidelines 101. Specifically interested in humidity. I'm starting a batch Saturday for the Easter hatch a long. Also seems like in the past they always hatch out a different time than I expected. If they start at noon Saturday, they should hatch ???
Thanks

Excuse me while i rant... Stupid f**king postal service. two day shipping is two freaking day not whenever you feel like it. i was supposed to get two birds from OCSeramas today but nooooo they had to lose the **** things and take their sweet time i cant even get ahold of the main mail hub. they have no excuse. the weather is nice, no snow no nothing. this is the second freaking time the last time it was hatchery chicks. i also have seramas coming in later in the month and hatchery next month are they gonna do this then to? seriously get your **** together USPS e.e
I know shipping birds is super stressful but likely more stressful on us than the birds. I shipped a Sulmtaler Rooster to Washington on Tuesday and was happy to hear he arrived safely today, just before 3pm as per the Express 2-day Terms. The new owner took him out of the box and put him in with the ladies and said her bred one within 30 seconds. I guess the long trip did not hurt his mojo any.

I was disappointed when they stopped offering Express 1-day but truth be told even with the 1 day service it usually took 2-3 days. I am sure your bird will be there in the morning. Good luck.

Would someone point me to hatching guidelines 101. Specifically interested in humidity. I'm starting a batch Saturday for the Easter hatch a long. Also seems like in the past they always hatch out a different time than I expected. If they start at noon Saturday, they should hatch ???
Thanks
Here is a list I put together:

• Day zero is the day you set your eggs and day one is 24 hours later
  • Run incubator *empty* for a day or more to be sure you have the settings dialed in
  • Still air incubators should be set at ~102° F
  • Forced air incubators should be set at ~99.5° F
  • Your incubator should be placed in a room without drafts and without huge temperature swings
  • Eggs should be placed fat end up or on their sides
  • Thoroughly clean incubators, hatchers and brooders between uses!
  • Incubate normal looking eggs.
  • Wash hands before handling eggs.
  • Invest in a proper candler or bright flashlight.
  • Use distilled water.

-Kathy

Thanks
Eggs hatch between day 20 and 22 usually.

http://homesteadapps.com/app/free/hatchchart/hatchturnscheentry.php
This will get you the hatch date.

Generally what happens is that you raise humidity on day 18 to 65% humidity or so. Somewhere between day 19 and 21 you will see the first pip or hole in the egg. The first chick will hatch within a day of that and the hatch will usually be over 24 hours after the first one hatches. I have had hatches go longer though.

Age of the egg before setting and shipping stress will add time to the hatch. Each day in age will add about an hour to the hatch.

For the first 18 days I use 35 to 40% humidity. Higher for white thin shelled eggs and lower for dark thick shelled eggs.

Humidity has a wide range that is safe for hatching--24% to 55%. Temperature needs to be within 1 degree above and below 99.5 for safe incubation. Humidity is not something to obsess over.

Get a very sensitive and accurate thermometer--like a brinsea spot check. Nearly all problems with incubation are caused by faulty incubation temperatures.

I know shipping birds is super stressful but likely more stressful on us than the birds. I shipped a Sulmtaler Rooster to Washington on Tuesday and was happy to hear he arrived safely today, just before 3pm as per the Express 2-day Terms. The new owner took him out of the box and put him in with the ladies and said her bred one within 30 seconds. I guess the long trip did not hurt his mojo any.

I was disappointed when they stopped offering Express 1-day but truth be told even with the 1 day service it usually took 2-3 days. I am sure your bird will be there in the morning. Good luck.
what worries me is this is the second time the first time was with hatchery bantams, these are seramas and we still have 40 and under temps at night. i dont want to get a box of corpses they are adult birds but still i worry, its been over two days they were sent out on the 10th from kate. ill be at school tomorrow too so itll have to be my dad who gets them if they come tomorrow. (he knows little to nothing about them so i have to write out instructions) it worries me though, like if they cant get them here from the same state whats gonna happen when my birds from strombergs ship out? is it gonna take them 2-3 days for freaking day olds? its ridiculous

what worries me is this is the second time the first time was with hatchery bantams, these are seramas and we still have 40 and under temps at night. i dont want to get a box of corpses they are adult birds but still i worry, its been over two days they were sent out on the 10th from kate. ill be at school tomorrow too so itll have to be my dad who gets them if they come tomorrow. (he knows little to nothing about them so i have to write out instructions) it worries me though, like if they cant get them here from the same state whats gonna happen when my birds from strombergs ship out? is it gonna take them 2-3 days for freaking day olds? its ridiculous
Leave your phone on. I have gotten calls at 5 in the morning before. The PO works all night, so they may call you when the truck arrives. Let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom