California-Southern

Naked necks are meant to be great birds for regions that can get hot. As well as less neck coverage, they have much fewer feathers overall.

Also I have never heard of anyone who has had them not like them. They are meant to be sweet birds that lay a ton of large eggs. Of course that can vary with underlying breed,

I am not sure if debating whether an ameraucana or an EE is better suited for heat is useful, as they share 99%+ of their genes, and at that point the difference in heat tolerance is more likely to be at the individual animal level.

Naked Necks ARE fabulous birds that are well received by their owners. However I found that because of their exposed skin they run the danger of sunburn. There's always a positive and negative with any breed and this is one that concerned us because we have so much sun year'round.

As for EEs vs Amers -- EEs are bred like landrace and not selectively bred for any traits other than laying blue or green eggs. Amers are being more selectively bred to APA standards that are giving them a definite genetic difference in their type and temperament from EEs. Though they may have been the same breed at one time emerging from Araucanas, there have been a lot of differences bred since the 1980's and before that in the '60s when the Araucana and Ameraucana factions had their arguments as to whether the birds should be tail-less or tailed, bearded or muffed, or tufted, etc. which resulted in two separate breeds of Ameraucana and Araucana registered with the APA. With your argument you can add that Araucanas share 99%+ of EE and Amer genes but that would be so incorrect. There has been so much modification of the 3 breeds that they don't qualify to be lumped together. It's like when the BRs and Dominiques went their separate ways at the turn of the last century -- the birds started out the same but split into two factions that made them totally different from each other decades later with BRs having Malay and Game bird infused in their history that isn't in the Dom history.

I do agree that it is an individual animal that dictates it's characteristics but some breed traits dominate beyond an individual bird. Where owners have found their EEs bolder in temperament and larger/hardier in all climates we have found through communication and comparison with other APA Amer owners that the Amer breed is more nurturing and is maybe a bit smaller and densely downed to be better suited for colder weather rather than heatwave climates.

Just as the BR/Dom issues had serious contention that eventually resolved decades ago it will take another decade or two of educating about the differences between Araucana, Ameraucana, and Easter Eggers before the issues are resolved, understood, and accepted.

Thank you, those are great suggestions. I won't get into a hurry to get rid of him for fear he will end up as someone's dinner as you said. He is a nice boy and I would hate to see that happen. I have handled him everyday since he hatched so I am very fond of him.

He liked to sit on my shoulder
1f60a.png

Last edited:
Hi All!
       I am looking for bantam cochin eggs to hatch in the beginning of April :D   Please let me know if you have any to sell or know of any good resources. I really want to try and get eggs locally(or from Calif) rather than shipped from a long distance!
                       Thanks!

Chickens Galore in Norco is where I got my Bantam Cochin

(Lucille)

Last edited:
Naked Necks ARE fabulous birds that are well received by their owners. However I found that because of their exposed skin they run the danger of sunburn. There's always a positive and negative with any breed and this is one that concerned us because we have so much sun year'round.
I had not realized that you had also kept naked necks. Did they get sunburn?

My friend who lives in Sun City where is get up to 110-120 degrees in summer, has more than 50 naked necks and says that contary to public assumption they do not get sunburn
Here is a thread on it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/59426/naked-necks-get-sunburn/0_50

I live here in the AV and we get over 100 everyday in The summer and my NN have never gotten sunburn BUT when it's hot their skin flushes red like all the other chickens that have feathers hiding it. So they may look sunburned to someone who does not keep them. They have a fab personality always middle of the hierarchy. Lay a large egg for there size reliably. And come in tons of fun colors.

I live here in the AV and we get over 100 everyday in The summer and my NN have never gotten sunburn BUT when it's hot their skin flushes red like all the other chickens that have feathers hiding it. So they may look sunburned to someone who does not keep them. They have a fab personality always middle of the hierarchy. Lay a large egg for there size reliably. And come in tons of fun colors.
thumbsup.gif

I had not realized that you had also kept naked necks. Did they get sunburn?

My friend who lives in Sun City where is get up to 110-120 degrees in summer, has more than 50 naked necks and says that contary to public assumption they do not get sunburn
Here is a thread on it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/59426/naked-necks-get-sunburn/0_50
No, Phage - I did not keep NNs because after researching them it concerned me that there was some warning regarding the possibility of exposed skin to the sun which is why I said we decided NOT to get any if you read my post carefully
wink.png
Cris290 - TY for your comments. It is nice to get input from NN owners. I talked with Lisa Lynn on TheSelfSufficientHomeAcre and read positive reviews on these intriguing birds and what gives some bow ties, some have little skin showing, others with a lot, etc. I like to talk directly to owners to get their feedback on owning breeds before we decide on getting any particular breed. The NNs were nice in temperament and utility but then we decided to go with smaller breeds more as pets rather than production -- we don't need much eggs for just the two of us during retirement and we've been enjoying our under-5-lb breeds. As a kid everything was for production on the farm and there was no time getting attached and making pets out of any livestock/poultry. Now during retirement we are enjoying chickens as pets and the wonderful creatures they are without thinking of them as only meat or eggs! They're more fun to be with than having Cable TV!

Back
Top Bottom