California-Southern

:( I love my coop from them. Wasn't impressed with their Easter Eggers though. What was your mortality rate/age?

Right now I have birds from Cackle, Privett, Meyer, a private breeder and home hatch. I've lost two Cackle birds to tumors, one related to Marek's, the other ovarian. Waiting to see how the remaining private breeder bird lives (the other was killed by a predator). Right now she's got a bloated belly like the ovarian tumor girl :(

Last edited:
:( I love my coop from them. Wasn't impressed with their Easter Eggers though. What was your mortality rate/age?

Right now I have birds from Cackle, Privett, Meyer, a private breeder and home hatch. I've lost two Cackle birds to tumors, one related to Marek's, the other ovarian. Waiting to see how the remaining private breeder bird lives (the other was killed by a predator). Right now she's got a bloated belly like the ovarian tumor girl :(

I picked up 2 Australorps and one had some sort of nerve issue. Her head would go into spasms, she laid maybe 3 eggs and died.
I bought 2 EE's and 3 Sexlinks, the EE's are great, but one of the sexlinks is not doing well and she is only 9 months old.
My neighbor has bought around 15 birds of different breeds and has had 5 die young.

I picked up 2 Australorps and one had some sort of nerve issue. Her head would go into spasms, she laid maybe 3 eggs and died.
I bought 2 EE's and 3 Sexlinks, the EE's are great, but one of the sexlinks is not doing well and she is only 9 months old.
My neighbor has bought around 15 birds of different breeds and has had 5 die young.

Yikes :( did you let them know? I've found them to be very receptive to feedback.

I'm glad I didn't buy from them - I found them online and considered getting chicks from them instead of ordering from a hatchery. But I ended up ordering from Meyer and only had one die after I picked them up at the Post Office.

My neighbor did talk to them after all 3 of her young BR's died. My neighbor told me that they said that the breeders buy the best and the backyard flocks get the rest.
I don't buy chicks because I work full time and they seem to be the only ones I can find in this area that have birds that are coop ready.
I want to buy 4 new birds this spring and I am not sure where to get them.

I did not see the original post for this. Dare2Dream? I lost a Welsummer at about a year old after 4 months and a speckled Sussex close in age after 6 months. My two Easter Eggers, about 1.5 years old now, are doing well, but one lays a brown egg.

I think hatching is WAY more fun than getting chicks in the mail. I only order eggs. My problem is I love to hatch....I go a little crazy. I am SO, SO overloaded with chicks of all ages right now. I've slowly been selling them, but I have a lot more to go. I definitely have free roosters if anyone is interested.

Back
Top Bottom