California-Southern

My flock free ranges in the high desert above Cathedral City/Palm Springs, but pastures are pretty thin around here. I have to plant grazing frames for them, but they do eat all kinds of plants that spring up wherever there's any water. I think the previous poster is correct about pastured eggs being available in local markets. I am sure that Clarke's in Palm Desert carries them.

I have always brought in organic material to cover the dirt in my runs and free range areas. All non-toxic leaves that are raked up on the property, plus tons of manure from our cattle and the neighbors' horses are added and have, over time, changed the decomposed granite, which is our native dirt, into something more supportive of invertebrate life. It is also easier on the chickens' feet.

Hi, I might be moving into Kern County and I was wondering if anyone local could recommend heat hardy chicken breeds? I personally love my fluffy breeds but know it'd sadly be an uphill battle to likely keep them happy. Though if anyone has any tips on that I'd be really happy.

Most friendly breeds are ideal though I tend to raise my chicks in small batches and handle hem lots so they are as friendly as possible.

Hi, I might be moving into Kern County and I was wondering if anyone local could recommend heat hardy chicken breeds? I personally love my fluffy breeds but know it'd sadly be an uphill battle to likely keep them happy. Though if anyone has any tips on that I'd be really happy.

Most friendly breeds are ideal though I tend to raise my chicks in small batches and handle hem lots so they are as friendly as possible.

Hi. Good luck on your move! If you keep heavily feathered birds in the heat you will need to be proactive in cooling them down in the summer time. I have lost birds, mainly Orpingtons, to heat stroke as early as May when I have not been able to be here to keep an eye out for a bird in trouble or to wet the runs down multiple times per day. However the smaller Mediterranean breeds that I keep as well have never had much of a problem managing in triple digits. Cream Legbars are friendly, not very flighty, and pretty productive. I keep those along with various Leghorns and other birds without lavish plumage. Last year I gave my flock of Lavender Orpingtons to a friend in a cooler area-it just seemed cruel to make them go through another summer here.

Thank you, you two for the input I do wish the fuffy ones didn't get overheated so easy. I don't wanna torture and lose chickens because of the heat. I love my lap chickens though. I'll have to work out a way to cool them if I choose to keep some if/when we move.

I like to give frozen watermelon rinds with some red flesh still on them to my chickens during the hot summer, some cold plain yogurt, and ill put ice in their water

How do you all maintain your sand runs? I read that some remove then replace sand, but that is a lot of work. Looking for ideas.

Hi, I've seen people that take a leaf rake or any type of item with a long handle,and put a filter type material over and make it like a big litter box scoop.

Back
Top Bottom