Celadon eggs?

Susan Skylark

Chirping
Apr 9, 2024
I apparently have at least one or maybe a couple celadon layers. The eggs are relatively small (though at least one of the hens is a good sized bird), they just started laying this week (boy am I getting double yolks!). Is this Normal for celadon eggs or will they get a little bigger as the hens mature? They aren’t fairy eggs, but just consistently smaller than a normal quail egg. Also do they ever lay splotchy blue eggs? I’ve had a couple that have a slight blue/green tint under the brown (or is this from a bird carrying a single copy of the gene)? I noticed some of the eggs that hatched these birds had a bluish interior shell and figured they might be carriers, apparently some are actually layers too! Anything else I should know about celadon eggs/birds? Thanks!

Celadon eggs are usually the same size as standard eggs. I would guess around 12-14g on average.

The eggs are always going to be pale blue, or pale blue with small specks. They won't be splotchy like normal quail eggs.

The blue interior does not mean that the hen carries a celadon gene. It might, it might not.

In my experience, celadon eggs have more brittle shells than normal eggs, and the shell may also be thinner.

Celadon layers can be a bit more fragile in their health as well. I lost my celadon line when my greenhouse got vandalized on April 1st, but I have recently replaced them with Myshire celadons. They are just starting to reach maturity, so while I have separated out 11 known males, I have not gotten any eggs yet.

How about candling? I thought I had read somewhere they are harder to candle? Just tried some with my phone and they actually seem easier to see through than the dark splotchy ones, almost like a light chicken egg. Maybe I’m making stuff up and blaming it on google? I honestly can’t comment on the fragility of a celadon layer, the one I know is is as robust as anybody but lays these dinky little eggs! Maybe they’ll get bigger in a week or two, hopefully yours work out!

I did google it and can’t find a reference so I’m probably misremembering or just making stuff up to confuse myself further, thanks!

I have a couple double yolkers (at least assuming so, huge eggs!) I wanted to candle to see if i could see a difference and then thought to try the celadon eggs too, just for fun, they were pretty easy compared to the big brown splotchy ones, could see right through them.

Back
Top Bottom