Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

We have only a few birds (6) and a stupid silky rooster that likes to come after me. Spring is here and the girls are happy with fresh new grass coming up and warmer pockets of sunshine to bask.
Welcome back! Sounds like a cozy spring scene with your feathered friends! Hopefully, that rooster will learn some manners soon. Enjoy those sunny days with your flock!

We have so many less birds at the minute, a combination of feed prices, and job changes as well as issues with land we rent has ment that we're down to only 7 chickens and no ducks or geese. We however set up a are first pig pen which will hopefully double as space for winter geese
IMG20240418150901.jpg
IMG20230504104621.jpg
@JDowey, Welcome back. Sorry to hear about the challenges with your flock, but it sounds like you're adapting well! Exciting about the pig pen – versatile use for sure. Here's to a successful setup and maybe some winter geese in the future!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Thanks so much for checking in and reminding me what a wonderful forum this is! I still don't have my own chickens :hitbut it is definitely still a goal...hopefully in a couple of years when I retire :celebrate I joined this forum to learn everything I could before I took the plunge into the wonderful world of chickens and now I need to get back to it!

Still around, the chickens are well. I'm having so much trouble with mice lately I am so tired of them. I keep catching them and they just get replaced with more. I bought a treadle feeder and they still found a way into it. Ew.
1000003740.jpg
Welcome back and thanks for sharing a picture of your beautiful girls! Good to hear your chickens are doing well! Ugh, mice can be such a hassle. Hopefully, you'll find a solution soon to keep them at bay. Hang in there!

Hello! Thanks for checking in! I've lost 3 of my original 4 hen flock. One 7yo survivor! Along the way I got a Bantam (two, but one got killed by a hawk) and she's had quite the life... She got broody some weeks ago because a rodent started storing whole pecans in her nest and she started sitting on them so I decided to get there fertilized eggs to replenish my flock and they hatched this week! She's doing a great job raising an Ameraucana, Black Copper Maran and an Olive Egger. I wonder if she suspects they are full-sized birds! There's always an adventure with these birds.
Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your losses, but it's heartwarming to see your Bantam stepping up as a mom. Sounds like you've got a colorful mix in the brood now. Here's to more adventures with your feathered friends! Looking forward to hearing updates!

Thanks for the check in :) I've been on here stalking dust bath threads for a few weeks haha.

A friend of mine uses 2 old turtle sandboxes as dust baths for his chickens. He has a farm so his chicken run is huge!

My kids have long outgrown our own turtle so I thought I would do the same.

Cleaned it out, put it in coop. Used mulch inside it as when the hens have a brief out of the run time, they always go right for the mulch and bathe.

Nope. No one would go in it haha. Tried using grubblies as lure. My boss hen and her second in command went in to eat the snacks but right back out.

So I took it out and spent some time here searching dust bath ideas. Peat moss and diatomaceous earth seemed to be the most popular. So I have tried that.

Nope! These girls have strongly voted NO TURTLE.

The funniest part to me is, the 2 boss hens will go in, fling substrate all out of it to find snacks, and the others will TAKE A DUST BATH IN THE STUFF THEY FLUNG OUT!

I am finding chicken keeping very similar to beekeeping. Bees do not read the beekeeping books and often don't follow the "rules"

Hens apparently do not read either hahah

We are super buy touring colleges for my oldest! 😳 Other than lambing season, home schooling, and kids sports, what else do I have time for? Lol Here are a couple new additions to the flock. You better believe, I may not talk, but I do peek in here and there. I tell everyone about this site! It helped me tremendously in my beginning days, diagnosing times, and even ideas. Thank you to the entire community!
20231002_092049.jpg
Wow, sounds like a whirlwind of activity! Glad to hear you're still finding moments to check in. And congrats on the new additions to the flock! Your support means a lot to the community. Wishing you all the best with college tours and everything else on your plate!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Been quiet on here for a while, life etc! My 2 silver appleyards ( Florence & Violet) are the light of my life and now 3 years old !
No problems so far although Florence has been laying shell less eggs lately. As long as she’s perky & healthy which she is, I don’t see it as a problem 🥰
Hope everyone is ok , Carol x

Attachments

• IMG_1623.jpeg
    IMG_1623.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Those are some floofy dogs, what kind are they?
They're both Belgian shepherds, a Groenendael and a Silver Tervuren

Attachments

• PXL_20230918_002532032.jpg
    PXL_20230918_002532032.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20240414-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20240414-WA0003.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20230324-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20230324-WA0011.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20230324-WA0014.jpg