Chicken Killing Family Dog

Quote:
I have to agree. We have a hound mix and I spent the first year of his life, jumping in the car or running down the street to get him because he have gotten over,under or through the fence. I even had him run into my meighbors house, they had their door open and in he went! I got a shock collar, and he will not leave the area now. I dont even have to turn it on just put it on him. He nows exactly where he is allowed.

Good Luck!

Quote:
I had to look at the post too, just because of the title
lau.gif
gig.gif

Honestly though, I wouldn't trust the dog, or any dogs for that manner, around livestock. They have a natural drive. I have 4, MIL has 2, we live on the same property. They are house dogs, but we have fenced in the yard to protect the livestock. Even then, they still dig out (especially during the calving season next door). We've had them kill almost a whole flock of our geese (over 12), they have attacked our sheep (luckily they weren't sheered yet, so they had some protection). They go to they neighbors and try for the calves (one still has a bullet in it's chest from the ranch hand, and half of her teeth missing from the cow). They even have gone after skunk, badgers and porcupines. The pack has even been known to attack their own (the alpha is no longer alpha, she is 12 this year and old)

As for what to do with it, it's your call. I am DEVASTATED every time mine escape or do any damage to my animals. They get punished (chains when outside and no one is home), scolded (DH and FIL handle this when we aren't around), and fence is reinforced on the bottom. I couldn't imagine life without my dogs, or my other animals. Cats on the other hand have been re-homed to a relative if they are seen repetitively stalking poultry.

i have dogs too, they really like to watch the chicks, ive looked online about chicken killing dogs and have read that you can tie the bird around the dogs neck until it rots, and only give the dog food and water and walk the dog, idk if this will help it seemed kinda morbid, but there are alot of info offered out there hopefully you can get your problem soon i hope you dont have to make a choice dogs or chickens good luck

These horror stories are on BYC every day and it's heart breaking. No matter what you decide to do with the dog, you have to secure the chickens (and bunnies) in a fail safe situation so not another one can possibly be attacked and/or lose it's life in this terrifying horrific way. I would not take the chance that the dog can be rehabbed - the price is too high if it doesn't work - don't allow access to the birds. If you can't be sure there won't be a breach, find a safe home for the birds and bunny.
JJ

It sounds like you no longer trust the dog. The biggest issue is if he is a liability around children. An aggressive dog can hurt a child very quickly. If it were me the first sign of aggression and the dog is gone. BUT, you do have to keep things in perspective. I think on the proverbial food chain a dog ranks higher then a chicken and if you love the dog then maybe it's a training issue...Good luck I hope you work it out...

Wow. What varied responses. Think I will try the shock collar and the chicken egg treats. We got the dog first. We really really really want to free range the chickens (that's the point to us) and the bedroom door blew open unnoticed. and that's how he got em.

Thanks to all - younguns are a screemin - gotta go....

I NEVER advocate dogs and chickens being together. Sooner or later, instinct trumps training. Even shock collars. Which I have used, but I would still not take my dogs around the chickens. That's like torture for a dog.

Like taking me to walk up and down a seafood buffet and telling me I can't have any of it!
lol.png

I was always told by my grandfather that once a dog gets to liking eggs, he will go to any lengths to eat them (breaking into coop). He said he had to cull more than one eggsucking dog....??? I dont know about the egg treats, never heard of that...seems like all it would teach a dog is that there are treats in that building (coop) that he wants, and whats to stop him from trying to get them when you arent around? Just a thought...

My elderly dachshund is a chicken killer. He killed three of them when they were still adolescent birds. I was devastated, but I learned to be very vigilant and made the run secure enough to keep HIM out. In that sense, he helped me really predator-proof the coop and run.

Some months later, and the chickens are nearly 8 months old. Full sized, and in some ways, almost larger than Zorro. These past two weeks I have let the chickens free range in the back yard, and taken Zorro out there with me, for training sessions. Immediate negative reinforcement and equally immediate positive reinforcement when he walks past a chicken without batting an eye. (The negative reinforcement has been a nudge with my foot to roll him over at the same time I say "NO!")

Yesterday, he was walking down the path and he encountered Buffy, who fluffed up her neck feathers and screamed "BAWK!" at him. Just once. He ducked his head and continued past her. Later, he encountered Matilda, and he turned away to let her come in the run gate unmolested.

41679_matilda-zorro.jpg

I will continue to supervise all his "outside with the chickens" activity - I cannot afford to drop my vigilance. However, I am encouraged by the change in his behavior.

19992_piper_n_chicks_003.jpg

our Jack Russel Terrorist, she would just love to rip the stuffin' outa them birds, but she knows her commands and is kept under control (human or chain) whenever around them. My Buckeye loves to walk back and forth just out of reach of the dogs chain to keep her barking, when the dog gives up and goes to lay down the Buckeye loves to antagonize her and moves to within reach until the dog gets up to try to get her. I keep telling that hen one day she is going to move too slow, but she's enjoying the game to much to give it up.

Back
Top Bottom