Chicken Killing Family Dog

I agree Pure Silk is DEAD ON !!! Shock Shock Shock
barnie.gif
It is the ONLY way to get through the chicken killing dog brain. Once a chicken killer always a chicken killer
hit.gif

Sorry your chickies died. It may not be realistic to free range those chickens around that dog. You're going to have to build a secure area where the chickens can get outside time but don't come into contact with predators. In my experience, dogs that are raised around chickens as puppies seem to have an easier time ignoring the chickens, but it's much harder to introduce chickens to an adult dog.

Quote:
th.gif
??

Owe nothing to the dog? If you bring an animal into your home you do owe it---You owe it to care for it and train it, they're not born knowing how we want them to act anymore then kids are. Sometimes it's a bad fit all the way around and then you owe it to the animal, that you chose to bring home, to find it another loving home if at all possible. Your post makes it sound as if pets are just disposable things, just another piece of trash to toss away.

OP, I'm sorry for the loss of your chooks. I think it would be extra hard with it being your own dog instead of a stray or neighbor dog and I completely understand about doors and kids.
he.gif
I haven't used the shock collars before, but it sounds like your best bet. Chickens can be very happy in a run so if the collar doesn't work that's always an option. Electric fence around the run does work very well at keeping dogs and most other predators out as well. Best of luck with training the dog and the kids/doors.
hugs.gif

My dogs also killed my chickens. I blamed myself, not the dogs. I have 4 dogs, high prey. I bought a better secure coop and run. The coop is in the front yard until the chickens are full grown. The dogs are in the backyard. When the chickens go back in the backyard I am putting the coop and run in even more fencing. I am making sure the dogs can't ever get into the run again.

I love the chickens but I love my dogs too and feel they need my protection too.

Good luck with the shock collar and let me know if it works.

On the contrary, if the dog is not just a flat-out mean dog, it may just be his nature to kill chickens. Some dogs are bred for that. I would try to rehome it to a place where its talents won't be called into use.

Or, you could make a "dog run" and let the chickens free-range
tongue.png
I agree with Kittymomma-you owe something to the dog. He is yours, and he trusts you to take care of him and make the best choice.

I seem to remember in the old days that bad farm dogs didn't live too long. That was all there was to it, too much of farmers livelihoods were at stake.
That said, I also have a dog with a VERY high prey drive. He also in incredibly obedient. He can be called off of a dashing rabbit! But if I weren't paying attention, there would be feathers everywhere.
Perhaps a secure run for the ladies when the dog is out, and a secure kennel for Fido when the ladies are out?
idunno.gif

when i 1st got chickens from the feedstore a few yrs ago my mom was taking them outside in there cage and 1 slipped through the bars and made a run for it was promptly cought and swallowed by our dog a rat terrier then i started holding chickens up to them and let them sniff them let them know they arent food and 1 pecked them on the nose and they have been afraide of the chickens ever since i have a mean hen that keeps my chocolate lab afraid if the lab runs around a corner or bush where the hen is relaxing it will make the velocirapter noise and swiftly give chase which suprises the lab and instills fear i have had the chickens free range for over a yr now and have only had 1 incident when they killed that chick and ate it and my lab is a bird dog if she gets into my pheasant pen she will chase my pheasant every where and barks at the birds on the powerline but leaves the chickens alone she has almost trampled a few of the younger ones chasing barnswallows and staring at the sky a few times but hasnt injured them yet so i say the "once a chicken killer always a chicken killer" is phooey from my personal experience

Quote:
No offense, but NOT putting any more thought into it won't make you a better chicken-keeper. Or dog owner, for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom