Chicken math is calling!

Pics
I have spent the last two years carefully rebuilding, and now have a delightful flock of 11 hens and Long Johns. Getting more than enough eggs. But in that flock is Mrs. Feathers, now called respectfully Gramma Feathers, and she ...well she has gone broody faithfully for me every year. She has raised countless chicks for me...

SO ...well... she has to be near the end, I would hate to disappoint her. She was checking out nests yesterday.

Mrs K

I have spent the last two years carefully rebuilding, and now have a delightful flock of 11 hens and Long Johns. Getting more than enough eggs. But in that flock is Mrs. Feathers, now called respectfully Gramma Feathers, and she ...well she has gone broody faithfully for me every year. She has raised countless chicks for me...

SO ...well... she has to be near the end, I would hate to disappoint her. She was checking out nests yesterday.

Mrs K
Well if she is near the end you’d better make sure she has a couple extra eggs to sit on just in case they are the last chicks she’ll hatch. (This is often a very overlooked calculation in chicken calculus)

😬I ordered 20 chicks that arrived 2/28. 20 was more than I wanted but due to shipping minimums that’s what I ended up with. So to be responsible I sold a few to my neighbor(this was agreed upon at time of order) and then after that had a coworker purchase some. Well chicken math hit my coworker too and they ended up taking more than I thought so now I just have 9left. I just found out my local feed store just had chicks arrive today!
9 is plenty.
I don’t need more than 9 chicks.
My baby is leaving for college this fall so I definitely don’t need that many eggs for just my husband and I.
I do not need any more chicks.
But I ordered marans and I’m pretty positive all those were taken, so I could just go look to see if they have any of those in….
Really, the 9 I have seem healthy, it’s not like I should plan to lose any before they start laying.
But what if some are boys, they are only 90% accurate at sexing them…
9 is fiiiiiiine.
The store probably already sold any marans they had anyway.
9 will be good, I can order again next year.
The store opens at 7 tomorrow…..
Good luck with only 9 LOLOLOL!!!!!

😬I ordered 20 chicks that arrived 2/28. 20 was more than I wanted but due to shipping minimums that’s what I ended up with. So to be responsible I sold a few to my neighbor(this was agreed upon at time of order) and then after that had a coworker purchase some. Well chicken math hit my coworker too and they ended up taking more than I thought so now I just have 9left. I just found out my local feed store just had chicks arrive today!
9 is plenty.
I don’t need more than 9 chicks.
My baby is leaving for college this fall so I definitely don’t need that many eggs for just my husband and I.
I do not need any more chicks.
But I ordered marans and I’m pretty positive all those were taken, so I could just go look to see if they have any of those in….
Really, the 9 I have seem healthy, it’s not like I should plan to lose any before they start laying.
But what if some are boys, they are only 90% accurate at sexing them…
9 is fiiiiiiine.
The store probably already sold any marans they had anyway.
9 will be good, I can order again next year.
The store opens at 7 tomorrow…..
Get more chicks! Get more chicks! Get more chicks! Hehehehehe

Update: so this week I found out that our local Fleet Farm is selling chicks this year.
I texted my husband showing the cute little things…
Turns out he KNEW about them and didn’t TELL me!!!
So to punish him I let him think that I was bringing some home. (Even though I didn’t at the time….I’m still thinking about it, haven’t ruled it completely out yet…)
IMG_5002.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom