Chicken sounds congested

Myrshine

Songster
May 30, 2020
USA
My rooster sounds like he’s congested when he’s breathing.. his comb is pale and overall doesn’t look like he feels well. I’ve isolated him. He’s a Seabright rooster bantam..

What should I give him to treat? And what’s the dosage for the treatment?

How old is this roo? It may be a respiratory illness that's causing his problem, but it can also be from tumors caused by an avian virus such as lymphoid leucosis. It typically strikes young chickens at around ten or eleven months.

If his breathing problem is from a common respiratory disease Mycoplasma gallisepticum. (MG) you can treat it with Tylan 50.

How old is this roo? It may be a respiratory illness that's causing his problem, but it can also be from tumors caused by an avian virus such as lymphoid leucosis. It typically strikes young chickens at around ten or eleven months.

If his breathing problem is from a common respiratory disease Mycoplasma gallisepticum. (MG) you can treat it with Tylan 50.
He is around 20 weeks I believe. He hasn’t shown any sneezing, coughing, nasal drainage or gasping. He does have trouble breathing from his nose and breathes out of his mouth. I can hear a faint small gurgle like sound. His comb and waddles are pale in color and he’s just kinda standing there most of the time. He does eat and drink fine tho when I offer it to him.

The pale comb and wattles is an indication of the possibility of an avian virus causing tumors on his organs which crowd his air sacs that provide oxygen to the chicken. Listen closely to his breathing. Do you hear a "clicking" as he breathes?

If this chicken dies, consider getting a necropsy. It will let you know what caused his death as it may have consequences for your other chickens.

The pale comb and wattles is an indication of the possibility of an avian virus causing tumors on his organs which crowd his air sacs that provide oxygen to the chicken. Listen closely to his breathing. Do you hear a "clicking" as he breathes?

If this chicken dies, consider getting a necropsy. It will let you know what caused his death as it may have consequences for your other chickens.
Yes there’s clicking sounds. Is there no way to help him? Is it contagious?

You can always try an antibiotic, but he has the classic signs of an avian virus commandeering his internal organs.

How long have you had your flock? Have you had any "mysterious" deaths?

You can always try an antibiotic, but he has the classic signs of an avian virus commandeering his internal organs.

How long have you had your flock? Have you had any "mysterious" deaths?
We’ve had our flock for 5 years now. No other deaths beside old age of one (She was 8 years old)

Back
Top Bottom