Chicken tractor flies and mosquitoes

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I’ve read the threads on flies and mosquitoes but need practical animal and vegetation safe solutions. What can I use on grass to keep flies away after moving my chicken tractor? 50 CC make a terrible mess.
The field is grazed by cows in later summer, so non- toxic solution is preferred.
I’ve used fly traps, sticky paper, sand, DE.
Mosquitos are horrible. I live near grassy wetlands so can’t use chemicals. How can I protect the meat birds from the hundreds that end up in the tractor every day?

TIA

A lot of farms that use the hanging fly and mosquito traps around their barns. They sell the reusable and disposable type both in farm stores.You can get them on Amazon too

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-25 3.03.48 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-25 3.03.48 PM.png
    215.3 KB · Views: 3
A lot of farms that use the hanging fly and mosquito traps around their barns. They sell the reusable and disposable type both in farm stores.You can get them on Amazon too
Thank you- I have used disposable- they fill up in less than a week.
I will look for this reusable unit. Thanks!!

Using a drip waterer in your chicken tractor would cut down on wet feed on the ground .It attracts them
I use auto cup waterers and dry feed in dry gutter troughs. It’s the poo— and it’s certainly my own fault thinking I could have 50 Cross in a tractor. The tractor is more than adequate space wise, but man, they plaster the grass!
I’m moving the tractor 2x daily.
I’ll try the garden lime and a reusable fly trap next.
thanks for your input 😊

I use auto cup waterers and dry feed in dry gutter troughs. It’s the poo— and it’s certainly my own fault thinking I could have 50 Cross in a tractor. The tractor is more than adequate space wise, but man, they plaster the grass!
I’m moving the tractor 2x daily.
I’ll try the garden lime and a reusable fly trap next.
thanks for your input 😊
Hope it helps! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom