Chickens aren’t eating chicken feed

That is suitable feed. The lack of "animal free" is compensated for by the added amino acids, minerals, and such. It is how most chick feed is made.

The corn cob based litter is fine other than I also don't know how comfortable it is for them to walk on. If that is a problem, you can mix it with other options - shredded paper (like from shredding mail or cardboard), yard debris like long leaf pine needles (if you live far enough south) or autumn leaves from last year or grass clipping from mowing if they are dry enough or not too many.

They are old enough to not eat enough of the litter to be a concern.

Is the coop size ok if the chickens only go in there to sleep and roam free outside land all day?
Um, maybe.

If the chickens grow so big they physically do not fit (scrape their sides, bump their heads), then definitely not.

But assuming they do physically fit, it could work to put the whole thing into a bigger pen, so they can come out as soon as they wake up, and still be safe from predators.

Problems are more likely to happen if they are shut in until someone comes outside to let them out in the morning.

Problems are even more likely if they are shut in for most of the day, or for several days at a time because of bad weather, or the family going on a trip, or to keep them safe from someone's dog that likes to chase them, or something of the sort.

But problems are not guaranteed to happen. It is generally a matter of more likely or less likely. The chickens are more likely to pick each other if they are shut in a small space. They are more likely to be killed by predators if they are roaming free, or shut into a coop that is not sufficiently predator-proof.

Keeping just one hen with a rooster brings up a new set of potential problems-- he may want to mate so often that she gets injured, or she starts hiding away from him and doesn't get enough time to eat, or something like that. Again, it's not a certainty, just something that is "likely."

And there is the potential problem of how the male will act as he gets older. He might start attacking people in the family, or he might not. He might also crow enough to annoy the neighbors. (He is almost certain to crow. The real question is whether the neighbors will be annoyed or not.)

If they end up getting rid of the male, the female will probably not be happy by herself-- that calls for getting rid of her too, or getting more chickens, which leads to integration and various other issues. Chicken-keeping can get complicated pretty quickly in some situations.

Um, maybe.

If the chickens grow so big they physically do not fit (scrape their sides, bump their heads), then definitely not.

But assuming they do physically fit, it could work to put the whole thing into a bigger pen, so they can come out as soon as they wake up, and still be safe from predators.

Problems are more likely to happen if they are shut in until someone comes outside to let them out in the morning.

Problems are even more likely if they are shut in for most of the day, or for several days at a time because of bad weather, or the family going on a trip, or to keep them safe from someone's dog that likes to chase them, or something of the sort.

But problems are not guaranteed to happen. It is generally a matter of more likely or less likely. The chickens are more likely to pick each other if they are shut in a small space. They are more likely to be killed by predators if they are roaming free, or shut into a coop that is not sufficiently predator-proof.

Keeping just one hen with a rooster brings up a new set of potential problems-- he may want to mate so often that she gets injured, or she starts hiding away from him and doesn't get enough time to eat, or something like that. Again, it's not a certainty, just something that is "likely."

And there is the potential problem of how the male will act as he gets older. He might start attacking people in the family, or he might not. He might also crow enough to annoy the neighbors. (He is almost certain to crow. The real question is whether the neighbors will be annoyed or not.)

If they end up getting rid of the male, the female will probably not be happy by herself-- that calls for getting rid of her too, or getting more chickens, which leads to integration and various other issues. Chicken-keeping can get complicated pretty quickly in some situations.
That’s what happened to me. When I was young I got chicks and chickens. We bought a rooster, and it started crowing. The police/City of Miami told us we weren’t allowed to have chickens because they disturb the neighbors and are farm animals. They gave us a week notice to get rid of them or we’d be fined.

I hope my uncle and cousins understand that the crowing might be a problem for them.

My heart is very fond of chickens. They are one of my favorite animals. They are just too funny and cute.

If I ever decided to get another chicken, I would not get a rooster. The neighbors called the city on us because of the rooster. It was annoying to be honest; getting woken up at 4am daily is not so fun lol.

I was young when I had the chickens. We built a large coop for them. I only had them for a few months.

I asked my cousin, and he said he tried using it to make cleaning easier.

I told him, and he understands.

I deep cleaned the coop with a vacuum and hose. No more foil.

Should I replace the bedding? Or can I just line it with newspaper?

View attachment 3877434
do you have a way to make some shredded paper or buy some soft animal bedding available (like for hamsters etc) if so, that will be good in the pen so it doesn't get poopy. You can put newspaper underneath the bedding. Thanks for taking care of them

do you have a way to make some shredded paper or buy some soft animal bedding available (like for hamsters etc) if so, that will be good in the pen so it doesn't get poopy. You can put newspaper underneath the bedding. Thanks for taking care of them
I already bought the pine bedding and chick food. They love the food. I’ll take a picture of the bedding. They love it, too.

I put a brick on a baking pan and used that as their food bowl because the male kept knocking the bowl down and kicking the food around. 😅

@NatJ

Do these pictures help you narrow the breed of the male?

IMG_9344.jpeg
IMG_9345.jpeg
IMG_9346.jpeg
IMG_9347.jpeg

IMG_9348.jpeg

And a video:

Back
Top Bottom